Mr Oscar Samour > Consortium Legal > La Libertad, El Salvador > Lawyer Profile
Consortium Legal Offices
EDIFICIO AVANTE LOCAL 313, URB. MADRE SELVA III.
CALLE LLAMA DEL BOSQUE PONIENTE
ANTIGUO CUSCATLAN, LA LIBERTAD
- Go to...
Mr Oscar Samour
Banking & Finance
Oscar is a partner of Consortium Legal – El Salvador. He has more than 16 years of experience in banking and finance, mergers and acquisitions and conflict resolution. He has extensive international experience and is frequently sought after for his expertise in multi-jurisdictional transactions.
He is a Fulbright Scholar and upon completion of his Master of Laws in Dispute Resolution from Pepperdine University, California, he worked as an international associate at King & Spalding LLP in Washington, DC.
He has led some of the largest transactions to take place in the financial sector in El Salvador, including the acquisition of Banco Agrícola by Bancolombia and the acquisition of HSBC by Banco Davivienda. He recently led the acquisition by Imperia Intercontinental Inc. of Scotiabank’s operations in El Salvador and the acquisition of AIG’s operations in El Salvador by the Panamanian insurance company ASSA. In addition, he has advised the Republic of El Salvador on several issues in the international markets, including the largest issue in El Salvador, and is constantly working with local and international financial institutions in structuring different types of loans for Salvadoran entities.
He is a visiting professor at two of El Salvador’s leading law schools and the author of several articles on dispute resolution and banking and financial matters in legal journals and other publications.
- Advised Credit Suisse in the structuring of a DPR Program to Imperia Continental INC for the acquisition of the shares of Citibank in El Salvador for $100 million.
- Advised Deutsche Bank and Credit Suisse as underwriters in Banco Agricola’s debt issuance for US$300 million.
- Advised American Insurance Group (AIG) in El Salvador in the acquisition of their operations by the Panamanian insurance company ASSA by the amount of $85 million.
- Advised the Panamanian branch of The Bank of Nova Scotia in a credit facility of $150 million granted to Autofacil Panama, S.A., holding company to one of the largest car dealer in the region.
- Advised the Republic of El Salvador on the issuance of notes for US$601 million.
- Advised Digicel International Finance Limited in the $1.35 billion US Loan financing granted by Citi as a joint book runner with JP Morgan and co-lead arranger with JP Morgan, Barclays, Credit Suisse and Deutsche Bank.
Spanish and English
Member of the International Bar Association (IBA)
Member of the Latin American Arbitration Association
Certified arbitrator by the Center for Mediation, Conciliation and Arbitration of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of El Salvador
Member of Spanish Arbitration Club
Member of Young Arbitrators Forum (ICC)
Member of the International Bar Association – Latin American Committee on Banking and Financial Law
Secretary of the Board of Directors of the British Chamber of Commerce in El Salvador
- M. in International Arbitration (with honors), University of Pepperdine, United States (2009)
- American Legal System, Columbia University School of Law, United States (2006)
- Attorney and Notary authorized by the Supreme Court of Justice of the Republic of El Salvador
- Degree n Legal Science (Honorable Mention), Universidad Centroamericana “José Simeón Cañas”, El Salvador (2005)
The largest firm in Central America, Consortium Legal has offices in Guatemala, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua, and frequently advises on complex, region-wide corporate and financial transactions, including M&A, corporate restructurings and bond issuances, acting for an impressive roster of regional and international banks and financial institutions and multinational companies. It also has expertise in project finance, particularly in the energy and mining sectors, foreign investment and fintech. Among the key contacts in the Costa Rican office are Mario Quesada-Bianchini, an expert in cross-border finance; and Randall Barquero, who leads the fintech practice, along with the experienced Juan Manuel Godoy and M&A expert Rolando Laclé Zuñiga. In Guatemala, Alfredo Rodríguez and Rafael Alvarado Riedel are the standouts for corporate work, while firm president Álvaro Castellanos specialises in banking and finance matters. Rodrigo Taboada and Olga Barreto, an expert in financial and corporate restructurings, are the key contacts in Nicaragua, while the experienced trio of Gustavo León-Gómez, José Ramón Paz Padilla and José Rafael Rivera are names to note in Honduras. In El Salvador, Óscar Samour leads the banking and finance practice, as well as heading the corporate team alongside Diego Martín and Maria Alejandra Tulipano.
The banking and finance practice at Consortium Legal remains a market leader, with clients including international banks and financial institutions engaged in high-value cross-border transactions. The group provides a wide range of services, advising on due diligence processes, project finance, asset securitisation, derivatives, leasing, loan agreements and structured finance transactions. Spearheaded by experienced partner Óscar Samour, and supported by associate Felipe Aragón, who has expertise in structured finance, the team’s diverse roster includes such clients as the government of the Republic of El Salvador, spanning sectors including banking and financial services and consumer goods.
The powerhouse corporate and M&A practice at Consortium Legal continues to advise national and multinational clients involved on high-value cross-border transactions. The team handles a diverse spectrum of matters, including incorporations, mergers, divisions, due diligence processes, the structuring of corporate agreements and the drafting of contracts. The group is headed by M&A expert Óscar Samour, Diego Martín, who is an authority in corporate tax matters, and foreign investment specialist Maria Alejandra Tulipano, and backed by associates Felipe Aragón, who has expertise in M&A, and Gustavo Vega, who is experienced in investments. Senior Carlos Rodríguez provides complementary expertise in labour matters. The team’s client roster contains such household names as Credit Suisse, Walmart and Uber, and spans the telecoms, banking, energy, insurance, e-commerce, retail, aviation and tech sectors.