Paulo Valois Pires > Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados > Rio de Janeiro, Brazil > Lawyer Profile
Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados Offices
RUA DA ASSEMBLÉIA 66-17 FLOOR
RIO DE JANEIRO
- Go to...
Paulo Valois Pires
- O&G| M&A and Joint Ventures|Offshore Supply and Oilfield Services|Pipeline Operation & LNG Projects|Private Placements|Project and Corporate Finance|Mining
His practice involves the representation of IOCs, NOCs, private equities, financial institutions and suppliers in O&G, M&A, private placements, offshore supply, pipeline construction, LNG projects, infrastructure, and tax related matters. He represents international and domestic clients in international tenders promoted by the Petroleum Agency and Petrobras for the divestment of onshore and offshore blocks, and also in complex bidding procedures for the charter of FPSOs, FSRUs, and FSOs. He started his career in 1989 as in-house counsel for Shell in Brazil. He is the co-head of the O&G practice group of the firm and managing partner of the Rio de Janeiro office.
Portuguese, English, French and Spanish.
- Vice-chairman of the Brazilian Center of Mediation and Arbitration (CBMA – 2014-2016).
- Director of the Portuguese Chamber of Commerce in Rio de Janeiro (2015-2016).
- Tax Committee of National Organization of Oil Industry (ONIP – 2000-2002).
- Vice-chairman of the Energy Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce (2000).
- Member of the Association of International Petroleum Negotiators (AIPN) since 2005 and former alternate regional director of the AIPN Latin America Chapter.
- Master Degree in International Law by the University of São Paulo.
- Master Business in Petroleum – MBP by the Federal University of State of Rio de Janeiro/COPPE.
- Post-graduate diploma in International Law by the Université Robert Schuman, Strasbourg, France: Certificat des Hautes Études Européennes.
- Law Degree by the University of State of Rio de Janeiro.
Brazil > Corporate and M&A
The active corporate and M&A practice at Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados has an emphasis on the oil-and-gas and infrastructure sectors. It expanded through several lateral hires, including the hire of energy, corporate and commercial law expert Alexei Macorin Vivan in January 2018. A team led by Rogério Sobral de Miranda acted for Total on a project in which Petrobras will transfer a 50% interest in TermoBahia to Total. Other clients include ExxonMobil and Inpex Corporation. Paulo Valois Pires and Guilherme Schmidt are ‘excellent lawyers‘.
Brazil > Energy and natural resources > Hydrocarbons
Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados secures rave reviews from sources for its ‘deep knowledge of the industry and international practice’, ‘extremely dedicated professionals’ and ‘practical and commercial advice’. The boutique firm’s specialist oil-and-gas expertise encompasses the full array of upstream, midstream and downstream matters and it is a popular choice for some of the biggest names in the industry, including Shell, Total and Inpex. In a key transactional highlight, group co-heads Paulo Valois Pires (‘an excellent energy lawyer’) and Rogério Sobral de Miranda (‘very knowledgeable and hands-on’) paired up to advise ExxonMobil Exploração Brasil on its $1.3bn acquisition of a 33% stake in block BM-S-8 from Statoil Brasil Óleo e Gás. On the regulatory side, Antônio Luís Ferreira paired up with Valois Pires to advise GNA, which holds authorisation for the construction and operation of a 1238MW thermal plant as part of the high-profile Açu Gas Hub project, on regulatory and contractual issues. Other key names include Luis Fernando Pacheco (‘combines commerciality with an encyclopaedic knowledge of Brazilian oil and gas law’) and Sonia Agel.
Brazil > Projects and infrastructure
Schmidt, Valois, Miranda, Ferreira & Agel Advogados has a ‘good understanding of an international investor’s needs‘. A national highlight was assisting Terminal Portuário do Mearim with the redefinition of its port project. Paulo Valois Pires and Rogério Sobral de Miranda are recommended. The firm also made a number of lateral hires, including oil and gas expert Luis Fernando Pacheco, who provides ‘practical, relevant and timely advice‘, from Veirano Advogados.
- Hydrocarbons - Brazil > Energy and natural resources
- Projects and infrastructure - Brazil
- Corporate and M&A - Brazil