Ms Marcela Waksman Ejnisman > TozziniFreire Advogados > Sao Paulo, Brazil > Lawyer Profile
TozziniFreire Advogados Offices
R. BORGES LAGOA 1328
SAO PAULO, SP
- Go to...
Ms Marcela Waksman Ejnisman
Corporate Law and Foreign Investment, Mergers and Acquisitions, Media & Entertainment, Intellectual Property, Telecommunications/Information Technology, Cybersecurity & Data Privacy, Technology & Innovation
Co-head of TozziniFreire’s Corporate/M&A practice, Marcela concentrates her work on the telecommunications and technology, intellectual property and privacy and entertainment industries. She has advised clients on numerous transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and corporate restructurings. Marcela uses her thorough knowledge of the technology and telecommunications sectors to assist clients with both regulatory and business issues, including the negotiation of supply agreements and other contracts, outsourcing and licensing and software development, and issues related to privacy and the Internet, among others. In the intellectual property field, she has assisted in the negotiation of technology transfers and licensing agreements. She has extensive experience in the defense and registration of trademarks, patents, utility models, and industrial designs at the Brazilian Industrial Property Institute (INPI), besides advising clients on copyright and image rights-related matters.
- Events Director of ABDI (Brazilian Association of Information Technology and Telecommunications Law).
- Member of ABI (American Bankruptcy Institute).
- Member of INTA (International Trademark Association).
- Member of ITechLaw (International Technology Law Association).
- M. degree from Cornell University, USA, 1998.
- Studied International Business and Business Law at the University of California, USA, 1995.
- Graduate of the Law School of PUC-SP (Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo), 1992.
The IP team at TozziniFreire Advogados has a proven track record in handling transactional work on behalf of international and local clients from a range of industries, including chemicals, food, national defence, pharmaceuticals, technology and entertainment. Other areas of activity include the registration of patents, trade marks and administrative measures in relation to software and technology transfer agreements. Leading the department is Marcela Waksman Ejnisman, whose experience also encompasses the protection of trade marks, patents, utility models and industrial designs.
TozziniFreire Advogados receives instructions from both new entrants to the Brazilian market and companies with an established presence in the country, which seek the team’s advice on a wide range of matters pertaining to cybersecurity and data privacy. Practice head Marcela Waksman Ejnisman has extensive experience in co-ordinating data protection conformity programmes to ensure clients’ compliance with the upcoming Brazilian General Data Protection Law. Carla do Couto Hellu Battilana is another key practitioner, who often advises companies operating in the pharmaceutical, financial services, insurance and retail sectors.
TozziniFreire Advogados offers a wide array of legal services to clients operating in the telecoms, media, entertainment and technology sectors. Companies looking to enter the Brazilian market, as well as those that already have a solid presence in the country, instruct the team in a variety of mandates, including M&A transactions and the protection of IP rights. Department head Marcela Waksman Ejnisman is proficient in transactional and regulatory issues involving the telecoms and entertainment industries.
TozziniFreire Advogados is often engaged by well-known Brazilian and international companies in large-scale corporate transactions, particularly those with cross-border aspects. In one recent multi-jurisdictional transaction, recommended partner Francisco Eumene Machado de Oliveira Neto advised Banco Crédit Agricole Brasil on a joint venture with Banco Santander for the combination of its custody and asset management operations. The corporate and M&A department is led by Maria Elisa Gualandi Verri and Marcela Waksman Ejnisman and saw organic growth with the promotions of Fernando Silveira Carvalho and Carla do Couto Hellu Battilana to partner in February 2019; the latter advised Whirlpool on the sale of its compressor business to Nidec Corporation. Martin Miralles Pose, Luiz Renato Okumura, Mauro Guizeline and Silvia Martins de Castro Cunha Zono – who made partner in 2020 – are also key figures in the team.
The technology and innovation department at TozziniFreire Advogados offers advice on regulatory issues, transactional matters and litigation. The team handles matters ranging from software development and licensing agreements to technology transfers, blockchain, bitcoin and venture capital. Marcela Waksman Ejnisman, whose areas of expertise include IT and corporate law, leads the department. Patricia Helena Marta Martins has significant experience in technology-related litigation, including cases involving intermediary liability and data privacy. Start-ups often seek Carla do Couto Hellu Battilana‘s advice on corporate matters and transactions.
- Corporate and M&A - Brazil
- Leading individuals - Brazil > TMT: Cybersecurity and data privacy
- TMT: Cybersecurity and data privacy - Brazil
- TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business - Brazil
- Intellectual property - Brazil
- TMT: Telecoms and media - Brazil
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Competition and antitrust
- Corporate and M&A
- Labour and employment
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Tax
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Dispute resolution
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: Litigation
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity
- City focus - Brasilia > Government relations
- Life sciences
- Public law
- TMT: Cybersecurity and data privacy
- International trade and customs
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Labour
- Projects and infrastructure
- City focus - Brasilia > Public law and regulation
- Real estate
- TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business
- Intellectual property
- TMT: Telecoms and media