Ms Karla Lini Maeji > TozziniFreire Advogados > Sao Paulo, Brazil > Lawyer Profile
TozziniFreire Advogados Offices
R. BORGES LAGOA 1328
SAO PAULO, SP
- Go to...
Ms Karla Lini Maeji
Compliance &, Investigation
Karla Lini Maeji is a partner in the Compliance & Investigation practice at TozziniFreire with extensive experience acting as counsel for foreign listed companies doing business in Brazil, focusing her practice on internal investigations, and regulatory and criminal enforcement. She conducted numerous cross-border investigations especially on corruption, fraud and procurement irregularities reporting to Audit Committees, interacting with external auditors and having a keen eye for handling matters that may affect the company in different areas of law and jurisdictions. She has consistent experience strategically representing clients before multiple authorities, both in the context of leniency agreements and defense. Karla also regularly advises corporate clients on a broad range of compliance matters for having a deep understanding of her clients’ business and potential impacts on the company. In addition, she worked for a global law firm, in London, in a secondment program.
- CCEP (Certified Compliance and Ethics Professional) by SCCE (Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics).
- Guest professor in the Compliance postgraduate couse at FGV-RJ (Fundação Getúlio Vargas – RJ).
- M. from the Law School of Columbia University School of Law, New York, USA, 2013.
- Graduate of the Law School of Universidade Presbiteriana Mackenzie, 2008.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
A pioneer in the field of compliance, TozziniFreire Advogados stands out for its longevity in the market, and is noted for its ‘unique knowledge of the Brazilian compliance ecosystem‘. The firm has been particularly focused on crisis management, where it deploys multidisciplinary teams to assist clients in the context of environmental disasters, cyberattacks and other investigations. It also stands out for its active practice in internal investigations, in which it is frequently sought by well-known companies in a range of industries in sensitive matters. Co-founder of the Latin American Compliance & Investigation League (LACIL) and board member of The Society of Corporate Compliance and Ethics (SCCE), Shin Jae Kim leads the team, which includes internal investigations expert and ‘excellent professional‘ Karla Lini Maeji; Giovanni Paolo Falcetta, who has taken a lead role on numerous fraud and corruption internal investigations recently; and Renata Muzzi Gomes de Almeida, whose track record includes insider trading and corruption cases. The already sizeable team grew further in June 2021 with the hire of Marcelo Zenkner, a former prosecutor in the state of Espírito Santo. Associate Brunna Ortega de Almeida also receives praise; senior associate Fábio Heilberg is another key contact.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Competition and antitrust
- Labour and employment
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Tax
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Corporate and M&A
- Tax > Customs
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Dispute resolution
- Dispute Resolution: Arbitration
- Dispute Resolution: Litigation
- City focus - Brasilia > Government relations
- Public law
- TMT: Cybersecurity and data privacy
- TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity (and renewable energy)
- International trade
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Labour
- Life sciences
- Projects and infrastructure
- City focus - Brasilia > Public law and regulation
- Real estate
- Tax > Tax advisory
- Tax > Tax litigation
- TMT: Media
- TMT: Telecoms
- Intellectual property
- White-collar crime and investigations