Mr Marcelo Calliari > TozziniFreire Advogados > Sao Paulo, Brazil > Lawyer Profile
TozziniFreire Advogados Offices
R. BORGES LAGOA 1328
SAO PAULO, SP
- Go to...
Mr Marcelo Calliari
Antitrust and International Trade.
Head of the Competition Law practice and member of TozziniFreire’s Executive Committee, Marcelo was a commissioner of the Administrative Council for Economic Defense (CADE), the Brazilian Competition Commission, from 1998 to 2000, and president of the Brazilian Institute of Studies on Competition, Consumer Affairs and International Trade (IBRAC), from 2010 to 2011. In addition, he has worked as an editorial writer and New York correspondent for the newspaper Folha de S.Paulo, the largest daily paper in Brazil. He frequently lectures on Antitrust and Trade issues at events organized by the IBA, ABA, IBRAC and other entities around the world. Marcelo has also acted as a non-governmental advisor before the ICN (International Competition Networking).
English, Spanish and French.
- Member and immediate past chair of the International Trade and Customs Law Committee of IBA (International Bar Association).
- Co-chair of the Competition Group of the Task Force on Regulatory Agencies of AMCHAM (Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce for Brazil).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the publication Competition Law International of IBA (International Bar Association).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the publication Global Competition Review.
- Co-chair of the International Trade Committee of CESA (Association of Brazilian Law Firms).
- Senior Board Member of the China-Brazil Business Council.
- Member and former chair of the Board of IBRAC (Brazilian Institute of Studies on Competition, Consumer Affairs and International Trade).
- NGA (Non-Governmental Advisor) of ICN (International Competition Network).
- Doctor of Laws degree in International Law from USP (Universidade de São Paulo), 2003.
- LLM from Harvard University, 1996.
- Graduate of the Law School of USP, 1989.
- Graduate in Economic Sciences of the Economy School of PUC-SP (Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo), 1989.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
TozziniFreire Advogados ‘has a multi-disciplinary profile and unique knowledge of the antitrust authorities’. The department continues to see organic growth; with Patricia Bandouk Carvalho‘s election to the partnership being followed by that of Mario Pati in February 2020, adding further depth to an already sizeable team. The group is equipped to handle the gamut of competition matters and – outside of the practice itself – benefits from the firm’s strong compliance and corporate and M&A departments. Of particular note is the firm’s impressive track record in negotiating leniency and settlement agreements, where it has a large market share. Marcelo Calliari heads the department, which includes key partners Tatiana Lins Cruz, Guilherme Ribas and Vivian Fraga.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Competition and antitrust
- Corporate and M&A
- Labour and employment
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Tax
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Dispute resolution
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: Litigation
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity
- City focus - Brasilia > Government relations
- Life sciences
- Public law
- TMT: Cybersecurity and data privacy
- International trade and customs
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Labour
- Projects and infrastructure
- City focus - Brasilia > Public law and regulation
- Real estate
- TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business
- Intellectual property
- TMT: Telecoms and media