Mr Marcelo Calliari > TozziniFreire Advogados > Sao Paulo, Brazil > Lawyer Profile
TozziniFreire Advogados Offices
R. BORGES LAGOA 1328
SAO PAULO, SP
- Go to...
Mr Marcelo Calliari
Antitrust and International Trade.
Head of the Competition Law practice and member of TozziniFreire’s Executive Committee, Marcelo was a commissioner of the Administrative Council for Economic Defense (CADE), the Brazilian Competition Commission, from 1998 to 2000, and president of the Brazilian Institute of Studies on Competition, Consumer Affairs and International Trade (IBRAC), from 2010 to 2011. In addition, he has worked as an editorial writer and New York correspondent for the newspaper Folha de S.Paulo, the largest daily paper in Brazil. He frequently lectures on Antitrust and Trade issues at events organized by the IBA, ABA, IBRAC and other entities around the world. Marcelo has also acted as a non-governmental advisor before the ICN (International Competition Networking).
English, Spanish and French.
- Member and immediate past chair of the International Trade and Customs Law Committee of IBA (International Bar Association).
- Co-chair of the Competition Group of the Task Force on Regulatory Agencies of AMCHAM (Brazilian-American Chamber of Commerce for Brazil).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the publication Competition Law International of IBA (International Bar Association).
- Member of the Editorial Board of the publication Global Competition Review.
- Co-chair of the International Trade Committee of CESA (Association of Brazilian Law Firms).
- Senior Board Member of the China-Brazil Business Council.
- Member and former chair of the Board of IBRAC (Brazilian Institute of Studies on Competition, Consumer Affairs and International Trade).
- NGA (Non-Governmental Advisor) of ICN (International Competition Network).
- Doctor of Laws degree in International Law from USP (Universidade de São Paulo), 2003.
- LLM from Harvard University, 1996.
- Graduate of the Law School of USP, 1989.
- Graduate in Economic Sciences of the Economy School of PUC-SP (Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo), 1989.
TozziniFreire Advogados provides strategic international trade advice to its long-term clients, which include several key players in the auto parts, tyre and biotechnology industries, among others. Particular areas of expertise include supply chain issues and trade compliance. The firm was involved in several high-profile matters in 2020, including representing Greiner Bio-One in a sunset review of anti-dumping duties on the import of vacuum blood collecting tubes, which was of particular significance in light of the Covid-19 pandemic. Well-regarded practice head Vera Kanas has a good track record in WTO matters, having previously worked in the WTO’s legal affairs department. Marcelo Calliari is also active in this space.
TozziniFreire Advogados has ‘a great antitrust practice with a number of renowned and excellent lawyers that are truly dedicated to the needs of the client‘. The firm earned its reputation in the top echelons of the Brazilian antitrust market through its years of experience in complex and high-profile cases, and thanks to the excellent reputation of its partners, including practice head and former CADE commissioner Marcelo Calliari. The firm stands out for its track record in leniency agreements, where it has solid experience and a large market share. Its ability to handle conduct cases is also boosted by its ability to collaborate with the firm’s compliance and white-collar criminal law experts, allowing it to handle complex investigations involving multiple agencies. Merger filings are another notable area of strength for the experienced department, which includes key practitioners Vivian Fraga, Guilherme Ribas, Marcel Medon Santos, Patricia Bandouk Carvalho and Tatiana Lins Cruz. In a recent significant development, Mario Pati was promoted to partner in 2020; he balances a broad competition practice and also has knowledge of internal investigations and the FCPA. Senior associate Jackson de Freitas Ferreira left the firm in February 2021.
- Competition and antitrust - Brazil
- Leading individuals - Brazil > Competition and antitrust
- International trade - Brazil
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Competition and antitrust
- Corporate and M&A
- Labour and employment
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Tax
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Dispute resolution
- Dispute Resolution: Arbitration
- Dispute Resolution: Litigation
- City focus - Brasilia > Government relations
- Public law
- TMT: Cybersecurity and data privacy
- TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity (and renewable energy)
- International trade
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Labour
- Life sciences
- Projects and infrastructure
- City focus - Brasilia > Public law and regulation
- Real estate
- Tax > Tax advisory
- Tax > Tax litigation
- TMT: Media
- TMT: Telecoms
- Intellectual property