Ms Carla do Couto Hellu Battilana > TozziniFreire Advogados > Sao Paulo, Brazil > Lawyer Profile
TozziniFreire Advogados Offices
R. BORGES LAGOA 1328
SAO PAULO, SP
- Firm Profile
- Go to...
Ms Carla do Couto Hellu Battilana
Cybersecurity & Data Privacy
Mergers & Acquisitions
Media & Entertainment
Corporate Law & Foreign Investment
Technology & Innovation
- Member of IAPP.
- CIPP/E (Certified Information Privacy Professional/Europe), CIPM (Certified Information Manager) and CDPO/BR (Certified Data Protection Officer/Brazil) by IAPP (International Association of Privacy Professionals).
- M. degree from the University of Chicago, USA, 2015.
- Specialized degree in Corporate Law from IICS (Instituto Internacional de Ciências Sociais), 2011.
- Extension degree in Corporate Contracts from FGV (Fundação Getulio Vargas), 2008.
- Graduate of the Law School of PUC-SP (Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo), 2006.
Brazil > TMT: Media
Particularly adept in matters involving the intersection of entertainment and technology, TozziniFreire Advogados draws on its corporate, regulatory, and IP expertise to advise clients in both non-contentious and contentious issues. Free speech regulations, copyright, licensing, image rights, and trade marks are core areas of activity for the team, which is particularly sought by clients in the social media and computer games industries. Marcela Waksman Ejnisman leads the practice and has a broad base of expertise across the sector, with strength in copyright and trade mark issues relating to financing, broadcasting, distribution, and content governance. Carla Do Couto Hellu Battilana is a key contact for social media clients, and is particularly seasoned in matters involving e-sports competition, free speech and censorship in Brazil.
Brazil > TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business
Technology-related litigation is a core strength for TozziniFreire Advogados‘ technology and digital business practice, which is trusted by major international social media and networking companies in complex mandates. The team regularly advises on both regulatory and transactional matters, including technology transfer agreements, software licensing and venture capital funding. In addition, the team represents clients in civil and electoral disputes. The department is co-led by Marcela Waksman Ejnisman and Patricia Helena Marta Martins, with Ejnisman a key contact for contractual and advisory work and Martins focusing on civil litigation matters concerning data protection and AI. Carla Do Couto Hellu Battilana and Bruna Borghi Tomé are also of note, both advising on data protection issues.
Brazil > Intellectual property
TozziniFreire Advogados‘ IP practice is well known for its strength in internet, domain name and digital technology-related IP matters. Technology agreements, negotiations, transfers and licensing agreements are regularly undertaken by practitioners in the firm for high-profile domestic and international companies. M&A deals in which IP assets are a key consideration are also within the purview of the team, conducting due diligence and assessing potential liabilities across the spectrum of intangible properties, including copyright, trade marks and patents. The team also has a strong media and entertainment industry focus, advising on image usage rights, subsidiary rights and ambush marketing. The ‘exemplary’ team is co-led by transactional IP experts Marcela Waksman Ejnisman and Carla Do Couto Hellu Battilana. Stephanie Consonni De Schryver is also noted.
Brazil > TMT: Cybersecurity and data privacy
The cybersecurity and data privacy practice at TozziniFreire Advogados covers contentious and non-contentious data protection issues related to LGPD compliance, data breaches, and administrative and judicial proceedings. The litigation side of the practice regularly handles emblematic issues within the LGDP and internet law space, such as artificial intelligence, and intermediary liability for personal data in instances of illegality online. Marcela Waksman Ejnisman focuses her practice on contracts and advisory work related to data compliance programmes and training. Patricia Helena Marta Martins is a key contact within the team for litigation and administrative proceedings before the courts and regulators. Carla Do Couto Hellu Battilana is also a technology expert, regularly advising on data sharing agreements, data licensing and internal policies for clients. Luiza Sato joined the team from ASBZ Advogados in July 2022, bringing with her expertise across IP, technology and digital law.
- TMT: Cybersecurity and data privacy - Brazil
- TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business - Brazil
- TMT: Media - Brazil
- Intellectual property - Brazil
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Competition and antitrust
- Labour and employment
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Tax
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Corporate and M&A
- Tax > Customs
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Dispute resolution
- Dispute Resolution: Arbitration
- Dispute Resolution: Litigation
- City focus - Brasilia > Government relations
- Public law
- TMT: Cybersecurity and data privacy
- TMT: Tech, innovation and digital business
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity (and renewable energy)
- International trade
- City focus - Porto Alegre > Labour
- Life sciences
- Projects and infrastructure
- City focus - Brasilia > Public law and regulation
- Real estate
- Tax > Tax advisory
- Tax > Tax litigation
- TMT: Media
- TMT: Telecoms
- Intellectual property
- White-collar crime and investigations