Sandra L. Brown > Thompson Hine LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Thompson Hine LLP Offices
1919 M STREET NW
WASHINGTON, DC 20036-3537
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
- Go to...
Sandra L. Brown
Sandy is a partner in the firm’s Transportation group and a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. She represents bulk commodity shippers and other entities using transportation services, including Fortune 500 companies, electric utilities, government entities and ports that buy, sell or move coal, aggregates, chemicals, crude oil and other hazardous materials by rail. Sandy provides strategic planning counsel for the transportation of bulk commodities aimed at increasing competitive leverage for the shipper, including counsel on rail construction options, contract negotiation and drafting, federal preemption, rate challenges and other regulatory proceedings before the Surface Transportation Board. Sandy also defends shippers in contract and derailment disputes with railroads.
- Ohio Northern University, J.D., 1993
- Goshen College, B.A., 1990
Thompson Hine LLP‘s transportation practice is highly involved in the rail regulatory reform movement, including proposals to increase rail competition in the US. The group is also active in regulatory debates over the transportation of hazardous materials by rail, including safety and liability issues and common carrier obligations. It additionally has extensive experience in rail rate cases, including matters for the chemical and plastics industries. In the road sector, the group has notable regulatory expertise, while the department’s motor carrier lawyers assist shippers, intermediaries and carriers with a wide array of work, including regulatory rulemaking proceedings, and loss, damage and delay-related claims. Regulatory and commercial freight rail expert Karyn Booth leads the transportation group from Washington DC, where Sandra L. Brown represents bulk commodity shippers and other entities that use transportation services. Other key DC partners are commercial and regulatory transportation expert Jeff Moreno, former senior US Department of Transportation official Tim Goodman. and transportation specialist Jason Tutrone. Counsels to note are senior counsel Nicholas DiMichael in DC and Columbus’ Dan Ujczo, along with David Benz in Chicago.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Transport > Rail and road: litigation and regulation
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Government > Government contracts
- Transport > Shipping: litigation and regulation
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Real estate > Real estate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense