Matthew Coleman > Steptoe and Johnson UK LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Steptoe and Johnson UK LLP Offices
5 ALDERMANBURY SQUARE
- Go to...
Investor-State Arbitration, International Arbitration, Commercial Litigation
Partner, Chair of Steptoe’s Investment Treaty Arbitration Practice.
Matthew Coleman specializes in international arbitration, litigation and public international
law. Many of Matthew’s cases involve concurrent proceedings before tribunals and courts, and
have been in favor of, or against, international companies, State agencies and States. He
has acted as lead counsel on investment treaty and commercial arbitrations in the leading
arbitration forums. Matthew has also appeared as counsel in the Courts of England.
Matthew’s public international law practice has a particular focus on acting as lead counsel
in investment disputes between States and foreign investors (ISDS), including at ICSID.
His work for States has included advice relating to the investment chapters of free trade
agreements and drafting treaties.
- Barrister and Solicitor, High Court of New Zealand
- Solicitor Advocate, England & Wales
- The London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- International Bar Association
- International Law Association
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law
- LL.B., University of Auckland
- B.Com, University of Auckland
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Steptoe and Johnson UK LLP‘s London team routinely represents states and investors in PIL-governed arbitrations; and its expertise covers state-state disputes, state immunity laws in the UK and abroad, and anti-corruption laws and economic sanctions. Investment treaty arbitration chair Matthew Coleman is a go-to counsel for claims against African States; and Christophe Bondy has longstanding investment treaty arbitration experience. Promoted to partner in January 2022, Thomas Innes consistently acts in investor-state arbitrations; while masterful lawyer Juliya Arbisman is a 2021 recruit from Diamond McCarthy LLP for the London and New York offices. Associate Alexandre Genest also focuses on PIL work.
An integral part of its global dispute resolution group, Steptoe and Johnson UK LLP‘s ‘world-class‘ practice brings together expertise in investment treaty arbitration, international commercial arbitration, public international law, award enforcement, and cross-border litigation. Investment treaty arbitration chair Matthew Coleman is a go-to counsel for claims against African states; Neil Dooley litigates fraud claims in the financial services, insurance, pharmaceutical and property sectors; Christophe Bondy is an investment treaty arbitration expert; and Angus Rodger appears in international commercial arbitrations.
- Leading individuals - London > Dispute resolution > Public international law
- Public international law - London > Dispute resolution
- International arbitration - London > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: mid-market
- Dispute resolution > Public international law
- Real estate > Commercial property: development
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: civil
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Fraud: white-collar crime (advice to individuals)
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)