Mr Javier Díaz > Barros & Errázuriz > Santiago, Chile > Lawyer Profile
Barros & Errázuriz Offices
AV. ISIDORA GOYENECHEA 2939, 10TH FLOOR
- Go to...
Mr Javier Díaz
- Capital Markets
- Compliance & Corporate Governance
- Investment Funds and Mutual Funds
- Private Equity
- Partner, Barros & Errázuriz.
- Partner, Barros & Errázuriz (2014).
- Attorney, Legal Department of the Securities Markets and Insurance Authority, currently known as Commission for the Financial Markets (Comisión para el Mercado Financiero, former Superintendencia de Valores y Seguros) (1997-2006).
- Professional practice, Securitization Division, Hengeler Mueller Rechstanwälte, Frankfurt A.M., Germany (2003).
- Delegate of the Government of Chile to the UNIDROIT Committee of Government Experts for the UNIDROIT Convention Project on Harmonized Standards Relating to Rights Constituted on Transferable Securities Held in Custody of Financial Intermediaries. Appointed by the assembly as Member of the Drafting Committee (2005-2006).
- Delegate of the Government of Chile, Secured Transactions, Electronic Registers for the Implementation of the Inter-American Model Law on Secured Transactions, of the Organization of American States, CIDIP VII Working Group (2006).
Spanish, English, German and French.
The sizeable capital markets practice at full-service law firm Barros & Errázuriz routinely advises companies looking to obtain resources through the issuance of securities and public offering of bonds and shares (both in the domestic and international markets). The ‘very good‘ firm is also recognised for both its provision of regulatory advice to the Chilean authorities and its highly active investment funds practice. The team is led by debt and equity issuance specialist Luis Alberto Letelier, who is flanked at partner level by widely-respected capital markets’ transactions expert Cristián Barros; Víctor Barros, whose expertise covers all aspects of bonds work; and experienced regulatory practitioner Javier Díaz. Within the senior associate ranks, Juan Ignacio Galdámez is admitted to practice in both Chile and New York; Fernando Campino advises issuers and securities’ intermediaries (as well as those of investment funds); and Francisco Vial is experienced in securities’ regulations. Former senior associate Cristián Risopatrón left for Salfacorp in March 2022.
Barros & Errázuriz‘s insurance team routinely assists major insurance companies with both corporate and regulatory matters. Its workload ranges from the incorporation of insurance companies, to corporate governance issues and share participations in insurance companies. The team also assists with the regulatory aspects of technical reserves, investment rules, and risk management and internal control systems. It additionally acts in contentious administrative procedures. The practice is co-headed by corporate law specialist Carlos Ducci; and Javier Díaz, a former lawyer for the Securities Prosecutor’s Office of the Superintendency of Securities and Insurance. Senior associate Albert Harsch also advises on insurance work.
Barros & Errázuriz‘s compliance group routinely advises on Chile’s anti-money laundering and anti-bribery rules, as well as the country’s counter-terrorism financing legal framework. Its expertise covers internal investigations, enforcement actions, the design of compliance programmes, and defence-side administrative investigations. The team is co-led by regulatory expert Javier Díaz, who assists with regulatory examinations, voluntary disclosures, internal investigations, and transactional due diligence; and managing partner Cristián Barros, whose practice also covers compliance work. At senior associate level, Francisco Vial is on hand for regulatory compliance advice.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Consumer and advertising law
- Corporate and M&A
- Data privacy
- Real estate
- Bankruptcy, insolvency and restructuring
- Competition and antitrust
- Dispute resolution: arbitration
- Dispute resolution: litigation
- Energy and natural resources > Electricity and hydrocarbons
- Projects and infrastructure
- Public law
- Venture capital
- Labour and employment
- Energy and natural resources > Mining