Ms Mariana Eguiarte-Morett > Sánchez Devanny > Mexico City, Mexico > Lawyer Profile
Sánchez Devanny Offices
PASEO DE LAS PALMAS 525, PISO 6
COL. LOMAS DE CHAPULTEPEC
CIUDAD DE MÉXICO 11000
- Go to...
Ms Mariana Eguiarte-Morett
Mariana has 15 years of legal experience, and is admitted to law practice both in Mexico and in the State of New York, USA. Her practice is primarily focused on two fronts. The first is advising national and multinational companies in domestic and international tax issues (inbound and outbound), including mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, leveraged financing and project financing, tax aspects of compliance and diligence processes, along with interpretation and application of treaties. She has also developed a niche practice in consumption taxes, focusing on Value Added Tax and Special Goods and Services Tax. The second, which is closely related with her tax advisory capacities described on the first front, comprises the assistance in dealing with the tax authorities (i) in the negotiation of complex tax rulings and agreements for clients to optimize and secure their tax treatment in Mexico, including international tax and transfer pricing issues (such as APAs and BAPAs), along with assisting in complex administrative procedures to obtain tax authorizations and refunds of taxes; and (ii) in tax audits and investigations aimed at eliminating or minimizing tax exposure of clients subject to audit procedures by the authorities. Mariana has advised national and multinational clients in diverse sectors including real estate, energy, hospitality, automotive, retail, and air transportation. Before joining Sánchez Devanny, she participated in the opening of the Business Planning and Tax practice group of a Texas law firm with offices in Mexico City. She also worked in the tax consulting area of an important full service law firm in Mexico City.
- Founding member of the Young IFA Network (YIN) Study Committee of the IFA, Mexico Chapter. Appointed as Sub-coordinator of said committee for the period 2015 to 2017.
- Member of the BEPS Study Committee of the International Fiscal Association (IFA), Mexico Chapter.
- Member of the New York Bar.
- Member of the Tax Section, the International Section, the International Taxes Committee and the Latin American Council of the New York State Bar Association (NYSBA).
- Co-chair for the Mexico Chapter of the Latin American Council within the International Law and Practice Section of the New York State Bar Association.
- Founder and co-president of the Women in Law Committee within the Latin American Council.
- Master of Laws in Tax, distinguished as a scholarship recipient by the Ministry of Education. Universidad Panamericana, Mexico City, Mexico (2013).
- Studies in corporate finance. Instituto Tecnológico Autónomo de México, Mexico City, Mexico (2010, 2011).
- Master of Laws (LL.M.) in International Tax Law, distinguished as Wallace and CONACYT’s scholarship recipient. New York University School of Law, New York, USA (2009).
- Special Studies in Tax Law, honorable mention. Universidad Panamericana, Mexico City, Mexico (2007).
- Law Degree, honorable mention. Universidad Panamericana, Mexico City, Mexico (2006).
Sánchez Devanny‘s international experience has given the practice substantial hands-on expertise in cross border tax matters. The 20-strong team is co-led by five partners: the experienced Ricardo Leon-Santacruz, who specializes in tax planning and transfer pricing; Guillermo Villaseñor-Tadeo, who leads on the litigation front; Luis Antonio González Flores, who has broad experience in national and international tax audits, anti-money laundering and anti-corruption compliance strategies, with a special focus on multinational enterprises; Mariana Eguiarte-Morett, who has ‘impressive technical knowledge on international tax matters’; and Abel Mejia-Cosenza, who specializes in international tax planning for both individuals and corporations.