Mr Ryan Purpura > McGuireWoods LLP > Pittsburgh, United States > Lawyer Profile
McGuireWoods LLP Offices
TOWER TWO-SIXTY, 260 FORBES AVENUE
PITTSBURGH, PA 15222-3142
- Go to...
Mr Ryan Purpura
|Mergers & Acquisitions, Energy and Private Equity|
Ryan T. Purpura, a partner in the Pittsburgh office, is the chair of the oil and gas section at McGuireWoods. Ryan represents oil and gas companies, private equity and hedge funds and other financial institutions in mergers and acquisitions, project finance and development and other transactions related to the energy industry.
He also has served as in-house counsel to two publicly-traded natural gas companies (including the first ever exploration and production master limited partnership), where he advised on a range of commercial and operations issues, including oil and gas marketing arrangements, land acquisition and development, employment matters, and litigation. Ryan also serves as outside general counsel to several E&P and midstream companies, advising them on all aspects of their operations.
United States > Industry focus > Energy litigation: conventional power
Ryan Purpura in Pittsburgh and Todd Mullins and Noel Symons in Washington DC jointly head the energy industry team at McGuireWoods LLP. The firm’s clients in the conventional energy space include both traditional electric utilities such as Cleco Power and major names in clean energy such as NextEra Energy. Todd Mullins (DC) and others assisted Public Service Enterprise Group (PSEG) with a Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) enforcement matter concerning the client’s electricity offers into the Pennsylvania New Jersey Maryland (PJM) market; the matter was successfully resolved, saving the client approximately $135m in disgorgement. Elsewhere, a group led by Noel Symons (DC) represented Duke American Transmission Company in a rate case to recover the costs of its share of a transmission upgrade initially funded through a public-private partnership. The firm is able to litigate contested rate cases at both state and federal level. Senior counsel John Perkins joined the Washington DC office from FERC in March 2018.
United States > Industry focus > Energy regulation: conventional power
At McGuireWoods LLP, the energy industry team is led by Pittsburgh-based Ryan Purpura and Washington DC pair Todd Mullins and Noel Symons. Mullins regularly leads on enforcement-related matters; Symons specializes in work related to regional transmission organization (RTO) markets and cost allocation. A group led by Symons represented Cleco Power in a Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) filing updating its rate for the provision of reactive power, permitting the client to recover its cost of service. Elsewhere, Richmond-based partners Joe Reed and Elaine Ryan, assisted by counsel Stephen Watts, provided regulatory advice to Dominion Energy on its merger with SCANA Corporation. The transaction created a company capable of supplying 6.5 million electricity and natural gas customers and was valued at $14.6bn. Senior counsel John Perkins, who joined the DC office from FERC in March 2018, is another name to note.
United States > Industry focus > Energy: transactions: conventional power
McGuireWoods LLP‘s energy industry group advises energy companies and private investors in project finance and development and energy-sector M&A. Ryan Purpura chairs the energy practice in the Pittsburgh office and the co-chair of the power sector in Baltimore is Brian Kelly. Active clients are Exelon, Dominion Energy and Direct Energy. Richmond-based Joanne Katsantonis advised Dominion Energy on a $14.6bn stock-for-stock merger with SCANA Corporation to create a combined company serving 6.5 million electric and natural gas distribution customers and operating in 18 states.
United States > Industry focus > Energy: transactions: oil and gas
The energy group at McGuireWoods LLP has experience of capital markets transactions and securities law, corporate governance, tax and accounting, and regulatory compliance matters. Ryan Purpura leads the energy industry group from the Pittsburgh office, and focuses on energy-sector M&A and joint ventures. Of particular note, Purpura recently acted for a major oil and gas operator in four high-value transactions, including the acquisition of upstream and midstream oil and gas assets from Royal Dutch Shell; the sale of midstream assets to UGI Energy Services; a term bridge loan provided by White Oak Global Advisors; and an equity commitment agreement with Tsunami Partners. Another contact in the Pittsburgh office is Anthony Carna, who chairs the oil and gas practice and has particular experience of project development and mineral conveyancing.
- Energy litigation: conventional power - United States > Industry focus
- Energy regulation: conventional power - United States > Industry focus
- Energy: transactions: conventional power - United States > Industry focus
- Energy: transactions: oil and gas - United States > Industry focus
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: conventional power
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - litigation
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - regulation
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class actions: automotive/transport - defense
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class actions: consumer products (including tobacco) - defense
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class actions: toxic tort - defense
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy: transactions: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy: transactions: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Industry focus > Sport
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Project finance