Richard Sheldon > Appleby > St Peter Port, Guernsey > Lawyer Profile
ST PETER PORT
GY1 3 BN
- Go to...
Dispute Resolution & Employment
Richard is a Group Partner and member of the Dispute Resolution team, specialising in advising clients on employment law, data protection and regulatory issues across the Channel Islands.
He advises on all areas of employment law including, strategic advice, litigation and transactional support, as well as advising on matters such as executive severance, employee share schemes, pensions, restrictive covenants, bonus disputes and trade union issues.
Richard has advised in the field of data protection for many years, both before and after the advent of GDPR and has recently advised a whole range of local and international clients on their implementation of the new data protection standards, as well as advising on numerous data protection disputes including subject access requests and complaints to the local data protection commissioners in the Channel Islands.
In addition, Richard has advised on a number of major contentious regulatory matters involving enforcement action being taken by the Guernsey Financial Services Commission against both individuals and financial services businesses.
Richard’s experience includes advising;
– A Guernsey financial services business on the investigation and dismissal of a senior director in respect of allegations of fraud, together with the subsequent regulatory investigation by the GFSC
– Various global banks on restructuring their Channel Island businesses, including in relation to potential relocation and redundancy of staff, changes to pensions and to terms and conditions
– A Guernsey financial services business on a break down in the relationship between Chairman and Managing Director and subsequently on the exit of the Chairman, including buying out his shares in the business
– An international financial services business on the employment aspects of the acquisition of another business who had been subject to GFSC sanctions, including changes to terms and conditions and bonus arrangements
– Banks and other financial services businesses, on legal, tax and regulatory issues relating to the introduction and amendment of various employee incentive schemes and employee benefit trusts
Richard qualified as an English Solicitor in 2003 and joined Appleby in August 2014. Prior to joining Appleby, Richard worked for an international law firm in the UK.
University of Manchester (England)
Nottingham Law School (England)
Cricket and football
The practice at Appleby is geared towards advising corporates and large financial institutions on cross-border employment issues. In 2021, the group handled a number of Covid-related employment matters, including concerning outsourcing agreements. It is also active in advising on employment law aspects of M&A. Heading the group is Richard Sheldon, who is based across Jersey and Guernsey and often provides pan-island advice. In September 2021, the group was joined by Niall MacDonald from Walkers; a major boost, given his expertise in immigration, business licensing, as well as managing experts and enforcing post-termination obligations. Lara von Wildenrath joined from Werksmans Attorneys in August 2021, and handles employment disputes.
Appleby fields a crown dependencies-wide employment team led from Guernsey by Richard Sheldon, which services clients across jurisdictions providing advice on corporate, regulatory and data protection issues. The team is noted for high-profile executive severance matters, in addition to immigration and business licensing, contract drafting, policies and procedures. Niall MacDonald, who joined from Walkers in September 2021, has experience in unfair dismissal claims, as well as assisting with the spectrum of non-contentious employment mandates.