Mr James Rosini > Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP Offices
NEW YORK, NY 10004-1007
- Go to...
Mr James Rosini
Trademark, Copyright and Design Practice Group; Game Law Practice Group.
With more than 30 years’ experience handling litigation and counseling matters concerning all aspects of intellectual property, James focuses his practice on patent, trademark, copyright and unfair competition law. He also handles related advertising, entertainment, publishing, music, computer, internet, domain name and right of publicity issues. His sophisticated approach to counseling intellectual property owners on the scope and validity of their properties has earned him praise from sources such as Managing Intellectual Property, which nominated him as one of the top five intellectual property attorneys in the country and selected his practice group as the best group of its kind in the United States. The US Legal 500 has recently named James as one of the top seven trademark litigators and an elite “Leading Lawyer” (2017) in the United States.
James’ reputation for success is fueled by the discernment and skill that he uses to craft large scale strategies that align with his client’s business goals. It is this excellence in practice that led the 2013 edition of The US Legal 500 to say that James “is widely regarded, by clients and peers, as being a leader in his field.” World Trademark Review 1000 also recently commended him for his practice, ranking him in the gold band (top tier) in their 2017 rankings for “Individuals: Prosecution and Strategy.”
That intellectual agility, coupled with years of experience, help James act as a go-to resource for his clients. He has specific expertise advising leading companies whose present circumstances require rebranding on an emergency basis. Equally valuable in the courtroom, James has handled many high-profile cases for Fortune 50 companies with great success. He has also offered expertise in mediation, formulated creative solutions to avoid litigation, and advised clients on intellectual property issues involved in mergers and acquisitions.
James’s clients include the world’s largest retailer, one of the world’s largest software companies, hard copy and online publishers, the world’s largest insurance company, one of the world’s largest pharmaceutical companies, the largest company in Africa, the author of the world’s best selling novel, the most famous environmental and ocean conservation society in the world, the world’s largest advertising company, the world’s largest athletic shoe retailer and distributor, the world’s largest luxury car manufacturer, well-known hedge funds, one of the world’s largest financial institutions, as well as manufacturers and distributors of everything from coffee to vitamins to amusement park rides.
In recognition of his intellectual property expertise, leading publications such as Fortune Magazine, The Wall Street Journal and Brandweek have quoted and featured James in articles pertaining to trademark, copyright and intellectual property law. Avenue Magazine has recognized James as being among the Legal Elite. Additionally, James has authored and co-authored many articles in the intellectual property field covering such topics as halting trademark and copyright piracy, European trademark law, copyright protection for computer software, trends in US trademark law and international intellectual property treaties for publications including the New York Law Journal and the Licensing Journal.
James is also a frequent speaker on trademark, copyright, the internet and branding issues. He has been both moderator and speaker for the New York New Media Association’s Intellectual Property Seminar Series for Information Technology Companies. As an adjunct professor at New York Law School, he has taught courses and seminars on different aspects of intellectual property law.
Having built a profile as a leader within the legal community, James is actively involved in, and performs pro bono work on behalf of, charitable organizations such as Renovation House and the All Stars Project. He is also a member of many bar associations’ sections and committees on intellectual property and entertainment law, including the American Bar Association, the International Bar Association, the New York Intellectual Property Law Association, the New York County Lawyer’s Association, the U.S. Copyright Society and the International Trademark Association.
James has been recognized as a leading lawyer in his practice area by the following independent legal referral guides and publications:
- New York Super Lawyers
- Managing Intellectual Property
- The US Legal 500
- World Trademark Review
- Who’s Who in American Law
- The International Who’s Who of Professionals
- The Guide to the World’s Leading Trademark Law Practitioners
- The Honors Edition of Madison’s Who’s Who
- Who’s Who Among Executives and Professionals Throughout the World
The World Trademark Review has recognized James as the “brainchild” of the firm’s emergency rebranding practice and also ranked him as one of the top five lawyers in New York City for trademark prosecution and strategy in 2016. He is ranked as a New York Super Lawyer and has been selected as one of the top attorneys in the nation by the Legal News portal. He is also a winner of the 2016 Global Award for Copyright Law by Corporate Livewire. James has received an AV Preeminent® rating from Martindale-Hubbell, the highest professional rating awarded by the publication, for the past 15 years and was selected as a 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law, a special report published by ALM Media Properties and Fortune magazine. Jim was also nominated by in-house counsel and his peers to appear in Trademark Expert Guides 2016 as one of the leading trademark practitioners in the U.S.
- American Bar Association
- International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property
- International Bar Association
- International Trademark Association
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association
- U.S. Copyright Society
- JD, 1978, with honors, University of Miami School of Law, International Law Review
- BA, 1975, with honors, University of Notre Dame
United States > Intellectual property > Copyright
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP has expertise in both copyright counseling and litigation, particularly within the gaming, publishing and entertainment industries. Leading the team are Houston-based Jeff Dodd and Edward Colbert in Washington DC. Dodd is particularly skilled in transactional matters, whereas Colbert works on litigation and licensing issues. Other key figures include the New York-based litigators Jonathan Reichman and James Rosini.
United States > Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation(Hall of Fame)
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP handles a broad range of contentious matters with a track record that spans district and federal courts in addition to the TTAB. Jeff Dodd operates from Houston and jointly heads the practice with New York-based Edward Colbert. Susan Smith in Washington DC is recommended, while James Rosini is another key name from the New York office.
United States > Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)(Hall of Fame)
Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP is adept in portfolio management, prosecutions and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) proceedings. Edward Colbert and Susan Smith are the key names in Washington DC, with Colbert chairing the practice alongside Houston-based Jeff Dodd. New York-based James Rosini is also recommended.
- Hall of Fame - United States > Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Hall of Fame - United States > Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Leading lawyers - United States > Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Leading lawyers - United States > Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing) - United States > Intellectual property
- Trademarks: litigation - United States > Intellectual property
- Copyright - United States > Intellectual property
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: non-contentious (including prosecution, portfolio management and licensing)
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy: transactions: oil and gas
- Media, technology and telecoms > Fintech
- Industry focus > Insurance: advice to policyholders
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class actions: toxic tort - defense
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Real estate > Real estate2
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Finance > Capital markets: debt
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy: transactions: conventional power
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Intellectual property > Patents: licensing
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Intellectual property > Patents: litigation (full coverage)
- Intellectual property > Patents: prosecution (including re-examination and post-grant proceedings)
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Finance > Project finance