Ross Fairley > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Environment and renewable energy.
Specialist in renewable, Net Zero and environmental projects. Covers areas such as wind, solar, hydrogen, wave and tidal, low carbon transport, biomass, energy storage and biofuels. On environment, covers all aspects of regulation particularly contaminated land and environmental enforcement.
Trained Allen & Overy, admitted a solicitor 1993; partner 2001. Joined Burges Salmon as partner in 2004. Regularly speaks on environmental and renewable energy matters.
Law Society of England and Wales; Scottish and Northern Irish qualified; Renewable UK, Scottish Renewables; CBI Energy and Climate Change Board, United Kingdom Environmental Law Association.
Educated at Leicester University (1990 LLB).
Keen amateur artist and other leisure interests include sports (particularly hockey and cricket), driving an old Austin Healey 'Frogeye' Sprite, renovating a Morris Cowley 'flatnose'.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
With its large team of dedicated experts, Burges Salmon LLP is able to offer its diverse roster of UK and international clients an exceptionally strong regulatory practice. The team handles complex contentious and non-contentious matters, including issues surrounding chemicals and waste regulation, industrial emissions and carbon offsetting as well as contaminated land issues. Practitioners in the team split their time between Bristol and London – Ross Fairley plays a leading role in the area of renewable energy, while Ian Salter stands out for his expertise in nuclear law and nuclear waste issues. Michael Barlow, who now heads the energy sector practice, is also a key member of the team. The environmental litigation side of the practice was strengthened by the arrival of corporate crime specialist Guy Bastable from BCL Solicitors LLP in May 2021.
London > Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
Burges Salmon LLP is considered an industry leader in the nuclear power arena and is singled out for its ‘depth of experience and knowledge’, both nationally and internationally. Split between Bristol and London, the group handles the full gamut of work across renewable energy, onshore and offshore wind projects, and solar power, with a notable specialism in the energy regulation area. Practice head Ian Slater is rated highly by clients; he co-chairs the group with Ross Fairley who specialises in low carbon projects. The team has core strength in clean energy work. Nick Churchward is the go-to expert in waste-to-energy matters, Camilla Usher-Clark handles renewable energy M&A, while legal director Ian Truman is a key name for international nuclear law; he was previously deputy general counsel of the Hinkley Point C Project.
The Burges Salmon LLP group impresses with deep know-how in procuring, developing and funding significant projects, often in the transport, defence and energy areas. In the latter, the team is particularly experienced in nuclear power projects as well as solar, wind, and energy from waste matters. Practice head Ian Salter and Ross Fairley are the respective experts in those areas. The client roster includes public and private sector clients. Keith Beattie is especially known for his financing expertise and other key practitioners are Julian Boswall, Mark Paterson and the ‘very talented‘ senior associate Alec Whiter.
Burges Salmon LLP fields a ‘large team of environmental experts‘, which covers the full range of environmental matters. Areas of expertise are nuisance proceedings, environmental liability, damage claims and chemicals. The client portfolio includes national and International, public and private energy companies and organisations. Ross Fairley and Ian Salter both have long-standing experience in the field. Michael Barlow specialises in the energy sector. Senior associate Joanne Attwood is another highlighted key practitioner.
- Energy, project finance and PFI - South West > Projects, energy and natural resources
- Environment - South West > Real estate
- Hall of Fame - South West > Real estate > Environment
- Hall of Fame - South West > Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Leading individuals - South West > Real estate > Environment
- Leading individuals - South West > Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport