Simon Coppen > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Simon has advised rail industry members on the full range of legal issues concerning the strategy, operation and development of the industry since privatisation in 1994. He is a leading rail industry adviser with recognised expertise in policy, structural, regulatory and operational matters including access, licensing, European and UK regulation and franchising. He regularly advises on commercial contracts, procurement, rail disputes and competition issues.
Trained Allen & Overy; qualified 1987; Allen & Overy 1985-89; joined Burges Salmon 1989; partner 1993.
Attended Kings School, Rochester; Brasenose College, Oxford (1984 MA Law).
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Burges Salmon LLP has a ‘great practice’ with a large and dedicated rail team, which covers a broad range of specialisms in the rail sector. It has an excellent client base, including some of the UK’s largest train operating groups, and has an excellent track record in franchising and major rolling stock procurements. The group also has a superb reputation for its regulatory and health and safety work. Names to note include Brioney Thomas, who is a known name in public service rail contracting and procurement matters. Ian Tucker garners praise for his work on some of the largest industry sector disputes. Simon Coppen is also well-regarded, along with Chris Jackson. Chris Simms is recommended for his knowledge of all aspects of rail regulation, as well as for his experience in infrastructure finance transactions. Charlotte Whitaker has recently been promoted to the partnership – she frequently advises clients at the incident response phase to multi-fatality health and safety incidents in the railway sector.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport