Michael Barlow > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Advises both public and private sector clients on all aspects of UK and EU environmental law. Michael has particular experience in issues relating to water law and leads the firm’s cross-departmental Water sector team. He also chairs the firm’s Energy and Utilities group. He has significant experience of contentious work (both criminal and civil) and regulatory compliance. Also deals with sustainable development and has been very involved in the development of energy efficiency policy.
Trainee at Burges Salmon 1994-96, assistant solicitor 1996-2000; assistant solicitor at Bevan Ashford 2000-01; associate at Burges Salmon 2001-2009; partner 2009.
French - Basic
The Law Society of England and Wales; UK Environmental Law Association.
Attended University of Bristol (1991 BA Classics); University of West of England (1992-94 CPE and LPC).
Leisure interests include sports and playing his bass guitar.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The ‘excellent range of experience’ at Burges Salmon LLP‘s water practice allows it to handle matters concerning water companies’ operations and infrastructure projects, while also assisting both housing and infrastructure developments in their interactions with existing water infrastructure. On the regulatory front, the firm assists water companies in making applications to Ofwat and other government bodies for licenses, while also advising clients facing investigations. Practice head Michael Barlow has a broad practice, encompassing environmental, waste water and environmental permitting issues, while also representing clients facing regulatory investigations, acting before the courts and in arbitration and mediation proceedings.
The Bristol-based environment team at Burges Salmon LLP is experienced in handling matters spanning various sector. Its particular areas of expertise are water, wherein it represents many well-known UK clients on high-profile investigatory matters, and nuclear-related work which frequently involves the team advising on the decommissioning of power stations; nuclear work is Ian Salter‘s area of specialism. Corporate crime specialist Guy Bastable provides contentious capabilities to the team. The ‘excellent’ Michael Barlow, who leads the team, is noted as being ‘a really good, all-round environmental litigator’. Renewables and net-zero-related matters are the focus of Ross Fairley; other key names include senior associate Sarah Sackville Hamilton.
Praised for their expertise across ‘a wide range of environmental sectors’, Burges Salmon LLP covers environmental litigation, plant decommissioning, regulatory work and ESG, among others. Practice head Michael Barlow‘s water expertise is a key driver behind the firm’s strong offering in the sector, where the team represents a number of major water companies. Ross Fairley is a key contact for carbon credit work, while Ian Salter is well known for his nuclear waste expertise. Guy Bastable bolsters the office’s capabilities in criminal matters, while contaminated land and environmental waste issues are key focuses for Ian Truman. Sarah Sackville Hamilton‘s wide-ranging practice spans advisory, transactional and litigious work.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport