Michael Barlow > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Advises both public and private sector clients on all aspects of UK and EU environmental law. Michael has particular experience in issues relating to water law and leads the firm’s cross-departmental Water sector team. He also chairs the firm’s Energy and Utilities group. He has significant experience of contentious work (both criminal and civil) and regulatory compliance. Also deals with sustainable development and has been very involved in the development of energy efficiency policy.
Trainee at Burges Salmon 1994-96, assistant solicitor 1996-2000; assistant solicitor at Bevan Ashford 2000-01; associate at Burges Salmon 2001-2009; partner 2009.
French - Basic
The Law Society of England and Wales; UK Environmental Law Association.
Attended University of Bristol (1991 BA Classics); University of West of England (1992-94 CPE and LPC).
Leisure interests include sports and playing his bass guitar.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The environment practice at Burges Salmon LLP advises clients across the whole range of environmental matters within real estate, from contaminated land remediation through environmental risk management, liability issues and carbon law. The firm also counts the water sector and decommissioning of power stations amongst its key areas of expertise. Michael Barlow heads the team with expertise that includes water as well as environmental projects and disputes, and energy efficiency. In May 2021, Guy Bastable joined the practice from BCL Solicitors LLP, bringing to bear extensive experience in environmental disputes and prosecutions. Nuclear expert Ian Salter, renewables specialist Ross Fairley, as well as senior associate Joanne Attwood are further key contacts. Former practice head Simon Tilling left the firm in October 2021.
Burges Salmon LLP has one of the largest environmental teams in the UK. It counts on the expertise of high-profile individuals in the sector including Guy Bastable, who joined the firm from BCL Solicitors LLP in May 2021 and specialises in environmental prosecutions, as well as Ian Salter and Ross Fairley, who focus on net-zero, nuclear new builds and decommissioning. Elsewhere, Ian Truman is another expert in the field of nuclear regulation and international nuclear law, and team head Michael Barlow has broad expertise with a workload that includes handling noise nuisance and coastal erosion claims. It particularly stands out for its expertise in the water sector, with its team representing a number of the UK’s nine water utilities. Other areas of strength include matters relating to power station decommissioning, contaminated land remediation and environmental disputes and prosecutions. Former partner Simon Tilling has recently left the firm.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport