Michael Barlow > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Advises both public and private sector clients on all aspects of UK and EU environmental law. Michael has particular experience in issues relating to water law and leads the firm’s cross-departmental Water sector team. He also chairs the firm’s Energy, Power and Utilities group. He has significant experience of contentious work (both criminal and civil) and regulatory compliance. Also deals with sustainable development and has been very involved in the development of energy efficiency policy.
Trainee at Burges Salmon 1994-96, assistant solicitor 1996-2000; assistant solicitor at Bevan Ashford 2000-01; associate at Burges Salmon 2001-2009; partner 2009.
The Law Society of England and Wales; UK Environmental Law Association.
Attended University of Bristol (1991 BA Classics); University of West of England (1992-94 CPE and LPC).
Running, hockey and tennis.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The ‘practical, cost-effective and very commercially orientated‘ Burges Salmon LLP covers environmental matters across sectors including energy, transport, chemicals, real estate, infrastructure and projects, as well as being active in the public sector. The team specialises in environmental regulatory work and provides ‘first-class lawyers’. Simon Tilling leads the team and advises on operational compliance, regulatory investigations, enforcement and environmental civil claims. Also notable are Michael Barlow, who has ‘long experience of this area and a keen eye for detail‘; nuclear specialist Ian Salter; Ross Fairley, who is particularly well known for renewables work; and senior associate Joanne Attwood, who has expertise in contentious and non-contentious environmental and regulatory issues.
Burges Salmon LLP has a strong water and waste management practice and a broad range of expertise, including advising on water supply agreements and water retail licensees. Regulatory work is another key strength, with the firm recently advising Ofwat on its Water 2020 programme and its 2019 Price Review process. Michael Barlow heads the practice, which includes Noel Beale.
At Burges Salmon LLP, the full range of environmental services is provided to clients, with particular expertise in handling environmental litigation and environmental regulatory issues for large businesses. From public sector institutions to regulators and clients spanning the transport, infrastructure, nuclear, fossil and renewable energy sectors, the group’s client base receives advice on climate change and emissions markets, major industrial plant closures, decommissionings, contaminated land issues, regulatory investigations and environmental compliance work. The firm also has a large dedicated environmental litigation team, which acts in regulatory appeals, judicial reviews, environmental claims, and risk and remediation claims. Splitting their time between Bristol and London, vastly experienced practitioners include ‘thoughtful and incisive‘ practice head Simon Tilling, ‘first-class‘ energy specialist Michael Barlow, decommissioning and nuclear liability expert Ian Salter, and Ross Fairley, who is particularly active in renewable energy mandates.
|United Kingdom: Environment||January 2021||This country-specific Q&A provides an overview to Environment laws and regulations that may occur in United Kingdom.|
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport