James Sutherland > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Dispute resolution/real estate disputes.
Head of Burges Salmon’s Real Estate Disputes team
Main Areas of Practice:
All areas of landlord/tenant disputes, with a particular focus on lease break, vacant possession and terminal dilapidations.
Commercial Rent Review.
Property related insolvency disputes.
Trainee – Bevan Brittan LLP: 2003 – 2008
Solicitor – Bevan Brittan LLP: 2005 – 2008
Associate/Senior Associate: Burges Salmon LLP: 2008 – 2015
Partner: Burges Salmon LLP: 2015 – present
Property Litigation Association
British Property Federation
Investment Property Forum
Attended Wellington School, Somerset (1990-97); St Edmund Hall, Oxford University 2(i) BA (Hons) Modern History and Economics, (1997-2000); College of Law (Store Street, London), GDL: Commendation (2000-01); College of Law (Store Street, London) – LPC: Commendation (2001-02).
Rugby, theatre, choral singing.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The ‘top tier’ team at Burges Salmon LLP advises a host of renowned public and private sector clients on a broad range of property litigation matters, including high-profile administrations, rent review arbitrations, and cladding disputes, particularly from the tenants’ side. ‘Outstanding solicitor’ James Sutherland has extensive experience advising on property-related insolvencies and large-scale rent reviews. Real estate development specialist Chris Preston‘s technical expertise sees him advising county councils on contractual interpretation disputes, among other matters. The ‘responsive’ Michael Duncan and Catherine Banton, a landlord and tenant specialist, are further names to note.
With ‘fantastic knowledge and strategic thinking‘, Burges Salmon LLP is a strong choice for a host of major public and private sector clients, who turn to the team for its wide-ranging capabilities across commercial and residential property litigation. Practice head James Sutherland is a key contact for some of the firm’s most high profile clients – from investment banks to utilities providers – with recent engagements including arbitration proceedings and disputes concerning cladding. Chris Preston is particularly noted for his experience with developer and retail clients, as well as local authorities in London and beyond. Other names to note include Sarah Taylor, who clients regard as ‘a good negotiator‘ with a ‘very good understanding of client’s needs.’ All named lawyers work between the firm’s offices in London and Bristol.
- Leading individuals South West > Real estate > Property litigation
- Property litigation South West > Real estate
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport