Kari McCormick > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Burges Salmon LLP is ‘excellent at every level‘. The practice acts for banks in disputes involving facilities, derivatives and hedging, securitisation, acquisition finance, investment funds and professional negligence. It has particular experience in the mis-selling of financial products and services as well as advising on investigations. Bristol-based David Hall is dispute resolution head, Kari McCormick is financial services sector head, and Andrew Burnette regularly acts for banking clients in recoveries and professional negligence and fraud claims. Caroline Brown is an experienced senior associate.
Burges Salmon LLP has national strength in regulatory work in the financial services and insurance sectors, including commercial and compliance insurance work. The firm’s team includes Kari McCormick, who advises clients on insurance coverage and matters relating to warranty and indemnity insurance, credit insurance and directors and officers liability insurance.
Burges Salmon LLP‘s Bristol-based practice ‘has great market presence in disputes, excellent knowledge of the law and is very hardworking‘. It fields specialist litigators in transport, energy and natural resources, financial services, agricultural and rural affairs, IP and pensions. David Hall heads the team, which also includes Kari McCormick, Andrew Burnette, Chris Jackson, Sian Edmunds and Michael Ward.
The practice at Burges Salmon LLP, which is led out of Bristol by insurance litigation head Kari McCormick, is focused almost exclusively on work for policyholders, allowing the firm to avoid conflicts to a large extent. The practice, which has a sector focus on construction, transport, energy, rail and infrastructure clients, has recently seen an increasing of work originating in Latin America. Senior associate Matthew Walker is well-regarded for his ‘sector expertise and calm, can-do manner’.
The broad practice of Burges Salmon LLP covers fund and asset management work as well as providing experience in the pensions, insurance and fintech spaces. The non-contentious side is led by innovative transactional specialist Tom Dunn and Kari McCormick, who also leads a contentious offering that has particular expertise in investigations arising from conduct issues. The firm is known as trusted adviser to the Financial Services Compensation Scheme Limited. Sarah Kenshall joined in 2018 from Axiom and is a director in the fintech group.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Human resources > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Human resources > Health and safety
- Human resources > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Human resources > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport