John Barnett > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Private Client Services
Head of Private Client Services department. Provides a full range of tax advice to individual and corporate clients. Including advice to private banks, trust companies, financial institutions, entrepreneurs and owner managers on personal and business tax. Work also encompasses tax advice on corporate and business structures; advice on offshore structures and advice on offshore and onshore trusts. Experience also includes: tax litigation/investigations; advocacy before Tax Tribunal; EIS work; non-domiciliaries and UK land; international corporate work including advice to a number of clients on international holding company structures, coupled with personal advice on trust and tax planning; corporate restructuring advice on a number of significant transactions; and the taxation of development land, including general advice to landowners.
Trained Burges Salmon; qualified 1997; qualified as Chartered Tax Adviser (CTA) 1998 (awarded institute medal for highest national exam marks); associate 2000; current directorships: Sixty-One CIO (pro bono ex-offenders support organisation). Regular lecturer at a number of national conferences. Member of the GAAR Interim Panel, 2013. STEP Private Client Awards chair of judges 2017-2019.
CTA (Fellow); TEP; council member of Chartered Institute of Taxation, chair of CIOT Technical Policy and Oversight Committee.
Educated at Christchurch, Oxford University (1991 MA Politics, Philosophy and Economics); College of Law, Chester (1994 CPE and LPC).
Local Methodist Church – qualified local preacher; golf, cricket, hockey and music.
Following the retirement of Nigel Poppelwell, the tax team at Burges Salmon LLP is jointly led by Sarah Lane and Ian Carnochan, both of whom have substantial expertise in transactional tax and advisory matters. The group as a whole is instructed by major UK and international corporates on work including tax planning advice for property transactions, tax-led corporate restructurings and standalone tax advice. Furthermore, Lane is also able to handle tax disputes before UK tax authorities. John Barnett is another name to note, with experience providing tax advice to owner-managed businesses and arising from private equity investments.
Burges Salmon LLP has a standout capability in handling private wealth matters for clients in landed estates. A recent impressive area of growth is in advising high-net-worth individuals and families, especially those based in London or internationally. Other areas of expertise include high-value trust restructurings and tax work, as well as traditional probate matters. Team co-head John Barnett is highly regarded as a private wealth specialist, while fellow co-head Beatrice Puoti lends expertise in international tax, trusts and estate planning to the team. Among other key individuals, senior associate Tim Williams has a notable specialism in the taxation of development land.
The corporate tax team at Burges Salmon LLP splits its time between London and Bristol. It provides tax planning and transactional advice in relation to M&A and real estate deals, as well as corporate structurings and reorganisations. Group head Sarah Lane handles contentious and non-contentious matters, and has a specialism in alternative funds. Ian Carnochan is noted for his expertise in transactional tax and has experience of the private equity arena. John Barnett leads the tax, trusts and family team. He advises individuals and owner-managed-businesses on investments, remuneration and tax planning.
Burges Salmon LLP continues to enhance its traditional client base with a growing number of ultra-high-net-worth international families. It also acts for business owners and entrepreneurs, family businesses, rural businesses, landed estates, private banks, wealth managers and advisers, as well as trust companies in the UK and overseas. The firm is also increasingly involved in some of the largest and most complex international trust restructuring work. Beatrice Puoti and John Barnett head the department. Catherine De Maid and Emma Heelis-Adam were promoted to the partnership.
- Corporate tax - South West > Corporate and commercial
- Leading individuals - South West > Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Personal tax, trusts and probate - South West > Private client
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Crime: fraud
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Crime, fraud and licensing > Licensing
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- Transport > Rail
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport