Steven James > Burges Salmon LLP > Bristol, England > Lawyer Profile
Burges Salmon LLP Offices
ONE GLASS WHARF
- Go to...
Construction and engineering.
Partner in and Head of the Construction and Engineering group, and dual-qualified (chartered quantity surveyor). A broad practice encompassing energy, defence and transport infrastructure, real estate, outsourcing, and dispute resolution. Clients include Affinity Water, Abellio Group, Babcock Group, RBS, HSBC, The YTL Group and The National Trust. Notable projects include advising on the development of a new nuclear power plant, nuclear fuel dry store, legacy nuclear waste treatment facility, new rail depot, framework arrangements for water network and rail infrastructure, the development of a new luxury hotel and spa and associated developments for nuclear powered submarines.
Trained Simmons & Simmons; qualified 2002; in-house lawyer, Rolls Royce plc 2006-08; partner Burges Salmon 2011.
Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors, Society of Construction Law and British Council for Offices
University of London, King’s College (1998 MSc construction law and arbitration); College of Law (1999 PG Dip Law).
Golf, hill walking, swimming and running.
Burges Salmon LLP operates across a range of areas including nuclear technologies, transport, defence, and renewable energy. Leading the firm’s construction practice is Steven James, who focuses on non-contentious construction matters. Richard Adams heads the contentious practice, providing insights into disputes within the built environment, infrastructure, and energy and utilities sectors, while Jessica Evans contributes her experience in handling complex construction disputes.
Burges Salmon LLP operates across a range of areas including nuclear technologies, transport, defence, and renewable energy. Leading the firm’s construction department is Steven James, who focuses on non-contentious construction matters in the nuclear, renewable energy, and commercial real estate spheres. Lloyd James and James Horton augment the non-contentious team with their focus on renewable energy construction and infrastructure projects respectively.
The ‘first-rate construction practice’ at Burges Salmon LLP handles engagements across a wide range of sectors, including nuclear power, transport, and defence. The team also handles innovative energy and infrastructure work such as lithium refineries and geothermal projects. Practice head Steven James has a wealth of experience advising on nuclear projects and commercial real estate, while Richard Adams handles a range of high-profile construction and engineering disputes. Lloyd James takes the lead on much of the team’s renewable energy transactional work, while Marcus Harling has longstanding experience of advising on regulated procurement. Jessica Evans, James Horton, and Nia Stewart are also recommended.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Private client > Agriculture and estates
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Bristol
- Real estate > Commercial property: Bristol
- Real estate > Construction
- Private client > Contentious trusts and probate
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Bristol
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Employment: Bristol
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Energy, project finance and PFI
- Real estate > Environment
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Private client > Family
- Crime, fraud and licensing > General crime and fraud
- Employment > Health and safety
- Employment > Immigration
- Finance > Insolvency and corporate recovery
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Public sector > Local government
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Media and entertainment
- Employment > Pensions
- Private client > Personal tax, trusts and probate
- Real estate > Planning
- Insurance > Professional negligence
- Real estate > Property litigation
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Sport