Craig Seebald > Vinson & Elkins LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Vinson & Elkins LLP Offices
2200 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE NW
SUITE 500 WEST
WASHINGTON, DC 20037-1701
- Go to...
Craig is a partner in the Antitrust Group in Washington, DC. With over 20 years of antitrust experience, Craig is well positioned to represent clients in all areas of antitrust law, including criminal defense, class action litigation, and merger investigations.
His experience spans a wide range of industries, including technology, aerospace and defense, semiconductors, transportation, consumer products, and energy, among many others.
A key area of Craig’s practice is defending multinational companies in cartel and price-fixing investigations. He has successfully defended companies in grand jury investigations and coordinated the defense of multijurisdiction cartel investigations. Craig has also represented clients in obtaining amnesty from the Department of Justice, and has successfully defended companies in state and federal class actions in cartel cases.
Another key area of Craig’s practice is representing clients in antitrust matters involving intellectual property. He has counseled clients on patent pools, standard setting, patent acquisition, and licensing. He has litigated several antitrust cases involving patent pools, licensing agreements, standard setting, and the enforcement of invalid patents.
Craig serves as Managing Partner of the Washington, DC, office, is Co-Chair of the firm-wide Complex Commercial Litigation Practice, and is a member of the firm’s Management Committee.
Clients appreciate Vinson & Elkins LLP for its ‘approach which is carefully tailored in order to provide a unique, right-sized level of support for each matter at hand.‘ The team acts before federal and state courts, administrative agencies, arbitral tribunals, and appellate courts on behalf of clients from various industries, such as energy, banking, private equity, financial institutions, pharmaceuticals, environmental, mining, and media/entertainment. Jim Thompson in Houston and John Wander in Dallas head up the firm’s wider litigation practice. Craig Seebald in Washington DC and Michael Holmes in Dallas lead the litigation group, with Houston’s Chris Popov and Christopher Duffy in Washington DC leading the complex commercial litigation team.
The antitrust team at Vinson & Elkins LLP, praised for having ‘excellent skill and experience in defending antitrust civil litigations’, is regularly sought after by clients in the energy, technology, automotive, pharmaceutical, and chemical industries. Darren Tucker spearheads the practice from Washington DC with extensive experience in both domestic and international competition matters including global dominance investigations. Jason Powers and Harry Reasoner are names to note in the firm’s Houston office, while head of the antitrust government investigations team Hill Wellford and cartel and price-fixing specialist Craig Seebald are based in DC.
- Civil litigation/class actions: defense - United States > Antitrust
- General commercial disputes - United States > Dispute resolution
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Government > Government relations
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Government > Government contracts
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: electric power
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: electric power
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Tax > International tax
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Tax > US taxes: contentious
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Dispute resolution > Leading trial lawyers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Finance > Project finance