Ronald Tenpas > Vinson & Elkins LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Vinson & Elkins LLP Offices
2200 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE NW
SUITE 500 WEST
WASHINGTON, DC 20037-1701
DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA
- Go to...
Environmental & Natural Resources
Ron Tenpas is one of the country’s preeminent environmental litigators. A former Assistant Attorney General (AAG) for the Environment and Natural Resources Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, Ron represents clients in civil and criminal investigations related to alleged environmental violations, imports and other matters. He also represents companies and trade associations in commenting on proposed regulations and in litigation challenging new regulatory provisions.
In counseling clients, Ron draws upon 12 years of experience in the Justice Department. As AAG, a title he held from 2007 until 2009, he managed a 700-person division that included 400 lawyers. He oversaw civil and criminal litigation arising under more than 150 environmental and natural resources laws.
In addition, as AAG Ron defended the government when the government was sued in connection with its own use of natural resources. Ron also advised Cabinet and White House officials on policy and litigation risks associated with the environmental laws. Under Ron’s watch, the Justice Department secured what was at the time the largest criminal penalty under the Clean Air Act.
Before he was appointed AAG, Ron served as an Associate Deputy Attorney General, as the U.S. Attorney in the Southern District of Illinois, and as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in the District of Maryland and the Middle District of Florida. He investigated and tried white-collar matters related to healthcare fraud and public corruption.
A Rhodes Scholar and editor-in-chief of the Virginia Law Review, Ron served as a clerk to Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist of the U.S. Supreme Court.
Vinson & Elkins LLP positions itself as one of the go-to firms in the United States for environmental regulatory issues arising under every major environmental statute. The firm is particularly recognised for its capabilities in securing and defending contested air, water and wetlands permits for energy and industrial developments and multi-state projects involving NEPA and federal lands. Besides complex permitting mandates, the practice is also well versed in historical contamination issues and administrative proceedings before the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Former Assistant Attorney General (AAG) for the Environment and Natural Resources Division of the U.S. Department of Justice Ronald Tenpas is a recognised environmental attorney, who concentrates his activity in civil and criminal investigations related to alleged environmental violations and litigation challenging new regulatory provisions. He co-heads the department from Washington DC. Fellow co-leader Larry Nettles is based in Houston. Other individuals to note in the Houston office include Michael Wigmore , whose permitting experience spans upstream oil and gas development, pipelines, mining and manufacturing facilities, and Matthew Dobbins , who is recommended for environmental litigation, regulation and transactional matters.
Vinson & Elkins LLP is skilled at handling a huge variety of environmental mandates, ranging from regulatory and permitting matters to federal environmental litigation. The team is well-versed in contentious and historical contamination cases across the country, and in litigating EPA’s regulations of national importance. Larry Nettles in Houston jointly heads up the environmental group with Washington DC-based Ronald Tenpas, who stands out for his strong track record in civil and criminal matters related to alleged environmental violations. In the Houston office, George Wilkinson is experienced in litigation before state and federal courts involving a range of environmental issues, including RCRA and CERCLA. Clean Air Act expert Eric Groten is a name to note in Austin for enforcement action defense. Clients engaged in environmental litigation and regulatory matters which involve complex scientific and technical issues regularly seek Margaret Peloso‘s advice. She is based in Washington DC.
Vinson & Elkins LLP‘ offers clients a ‘ congressional investigations practice comprised of former high-ranking government officials. Experts in crisis management, the team has successfully prepared and represented corporate and individual clients in complex, nationally significant matters, including investigations into the attacks on the US Capitol, and high frequency retail trading in meme stocks. Washington DC based Michael Dry, Ronald Tenpas, and Zachary Terwilliger lead the team.
- Firms to watch - United States > Government > Government relations
- Environment: regulatory - United States > Industry focus
- Environment: litigation - United States > Industry focus
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Government > Government relations
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Industry focus > Energy litigation: oil and gas
- Industry focus > Environment: regulatory
- Government > Government contracts
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Energy regulation: electric power
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: electric power
- Industry focus > Environment: litigation
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Tax > International tax
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Industry focus > Sport
- Tax > US taxes: contentious
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Dispute resolution > Leading trial lawyers
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- Finance > Project finance