Amy L. Bess > Vedder Price > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Vedder Price Offices
1401 I Street NW Suite 1100
Washington, District of Columbia 20005
- Go to...
Amy L. Bess
Labor and Employment
Ms. Amy L. Bess’ employment litigation experience includes the representation of employers before U.S. state and federal courts and administrative agencies, defending against claims of race, sex, disability and age discrimination; sexual harassment; whistleblower retaliation; restrictive-covenant disputes; wrongful termination; and wage and hour violations. She regularly counsels clients in all of these areas, drafts and negotiates employment and severance agreements, conducts on-site workplace investigations, presents training seminars and speaks to employer groups on avoiding workplace problems. Ms. Bess also has experience advising clients regarding their public accommodation obligations under Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act and representing clients in litigation involving related claims.
Ms. Bess has extensive first-chair bench trial, jury trial and arbitration experience. She also is experienced in the defense of complex class action litigation, including wage and hour collective actions and pattern or practice litigation brought by the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
Ms. Bess is actively involved in a number of non-profit and charitable organizations. She is a board member and serves as general counsel for Everybody Wins!, a charity in the district focusing on promoting children’s’ literacy. She is also a member of the board of the District of Columbia Coalition Against Domestic Violence. In 2019 she was awarded the Tom Nees Award for Exceptional Service by Community of Hope, a non-profit organization pursuing a mission to aid low-income families experiencing homelessness and struggling with healthcare needs, in recognition of her long-standing, deeply-impactful service to the women, men and children who turn to Community of Hope for help.
- Member, American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section
- Member, District of Columbia Bar, Labor and Employment Section
- Chair, District of Columbia Bar Pro Bono Committee
- Board Member, Women’s Bar Association Foundation of the District of Columbia
- Member, Women’s Bar Association of the District of Columbia (served three-year elected term on Board of Directors)
- Board Member and General Counsel, Everybody Wins! DC (children’s literacy nonprofit organization)
- Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., 1987
- Illinois State University, B.S., 1982, summa cum laude
The team at Vedder Price covers a wide range of labor-management relations matters, from assisting clients with union organizing and decertification campaign matters, to collective bargaining and strike support work. The practice’s client portfolio includes a range of national employers from a variety of industries. The group has a particularly strong line-up in Chicago, which includes Kenneth Sparks, Eugene Boyle, Patrick Spangler and Mark Stolzenburg. Candice Zee is a skilled labor practitioner in Los Angeles, while labor and employment group head Amy Bess is based in Washington DC.
United States > Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
Vedder Price is noted for defending clients in single plaintiff and class actions before all relevant courts. The team, which is led by Washington DC-based Amy Bess, has experience in restrictive covenants, disability access cases, tort and contract litigation, discrimination and harassment claims, and wage and hour disputes. In Los Angeles Thomas Petrides covers OSHA matters, while Candice Zee combines labor and employment expertise. Nicholas Anaclerio in Chicago is noted for his broad employment practice; other key contacts in Chicago include Elizabeth Hall, Patrick Spangler and Thomas Wilde.
- Labor-management relations - United States > Labor and employment
- Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense - United States > Labor and employment
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - finance
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - finance
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)