Patrick W. Spangler > Vedder Price > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
Vedder Price Offices
222 NORTH LASALLE STREET, SUITE 2600
CHICAGO, IL 60601-1003
- Go to...
Patrick W. Spangler
Labor & Employment
Executive Compensation & Employee Benefits
Mr. Spangler is a Shareholder in the firm’s Labor and Employment practice area and Co-Chair of the firm’s Pro Bono Committee.
He maintains a broad labor and employment practice representing companies in complex litigation, workforce change, and compliance matters. His clients are engaged in a variety of industries, including health care, aviation, manufacturing and financial services.
Mr. Spangler’s litigation practice focuses on complex claims arising from the employment relationship. He has successfully tried individual and class-action cases and has handled sensitive enforcement actions related to employee whistleblowing, retaliation, and class-based compensation and hiring discrimination. He has extensive experience handling ERISA litigation cases and disputes involving executive employment agreements and restrictive covenants.
Mr. Spangler also provides traditional labor, employment and benefits advice to employers on day-to-day compliance and workforce change events. Mr. Spangler is a frequent speaker and presenter on cutting-edge legal issues related to withdrawal liability, union relations and reductions-in-force in the context of corporate transactions.
- Member, American Bar Association (Employee Benefits and EEO Committees)
- Management Co-Chair, American Bar Association (Subcommittee on Multiemployer Plans)
- Member, Board of Directors, Public Interest Law Initiative
- Former Fellow and Alumni Circle Member, Public Interest Law Initiative
- Member, International Foundation of Benefit Plans
- IIT Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 2006, with high honors, Order of the Coif
- Illinois Wesleyan University, B.A., 2003
United States > Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
Notable mandates for the ‘technically competent, easy to work with and very responsive’ team at Vedder Price include ongoing executive compensation advice to Hewlett Packard and 401(k) and defined benefit advice to ArcelorMittal. In a unique matter, practice co-head Kelly Starr is advising newly acquired client Coaching Right Now on executive compensation, employee benefits, independent contractor and contingent workforce issues for its decentralized workforce spanning 20 countries. Patrick Spangler serves as primary outside counsel to aviation services company AAR, and Thomas Hancuch advises educational supplies company Follett on benefits matters including medical and welfare, incentive and deferred compensation plans. Thomas Desmond co-heads the practice, and Daniel Lange and Christopher Collins are also recommended. Named lawyers are based in Chicago.
United States > Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
Led by Amy Bess in Washington DC, the team at Vedder Price is regularly engaged by clients from the retail, financial services, manufacturing and distribution industry sectors. Heather Sager is ‘a go-to lawyer in complex issues‘; she defended a Californian retailer in a class action involving allegations of missed meal and rest breaks and unpaid overtime, among others. Brendan Dolan was successful in obtaining a voluntary dismissal for Oracle relating to a claim in a class action brought by the Sanford Heisler law firm alleging Oracle’s sales compensation plan violates California state law. Sager and Dolan are based in San Francisco, while Nicholas Anaclerio, Joseph Mulherin, Thomas Wilde and Patrick Spangler are key contacts in Chicago. Thomas Petrides in Los Angeles is also noted. Washington DC’s Sadina Montani was promoted to partner. New arrivals include Nicole Smith from Venable LLP, Candice Zee from Seyfarth Shaw LLP and Eugene Boyle from Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP; the new recruits are based in Washington DC, Los Angeles and Chicago respectively.
United States > Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
Vedder Price has a comprehensive labor law practice, which advises on collective bargaining agreements, strikes, union organizing and disputes, among other areas. The team is also well versed when it comes to required representation before the NLRB in unfair labor practice and representation (election) matters. Amy Bess, who is based in Washington DC, leads the practice. A team in Chicago is regularly engaged by AAR Corp for agency representation and litigation matters. Names to note from this office are Patrick Spangler, Kenneth Sparks and Mark Stolzenburg. Heather Sager is a key contact in San Francisco. The Los Angeles office was strengthened by the arrival of Candice Zee from Seyfarth Shaw LLP in August 2018, while Eugene Boyle joined in September 2018 from Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP.
- Labor-management relations - United States > Labor and employment
- Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design - United States > Labor and employment
- Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense - United States > Labor and employment
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - finance
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - finance
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/ exchange-traded funds
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense