Joseph H. Kye > Vedder Price > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
Vedder Price Offices
222 NORTH LASALLE STREET, SUITE 2600
CHICAGO, IL 60601-1003
- Go to...
Joseph H. Kye
Finance & Transactions
Mr. Kye practices in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, private equity, venture capital, corporate, securities and business law. He focuses on middle-market, public and private company transactions and financings. His experience includes structuring, negotiating, documenting and closing all forms of mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital financings, public and private debt and equity offerings, structured financings, joint ventures, international financings and transactions, private equity fund formations, and other corporate and business transactions. He has represented all categories of transactional parties, including sellers, acquirers, management teams, issuers, underwriters, venture capital and private equity funds, family offices and public, private and distressed companies. Mr. Kye serves as the outside general counsel to various closely held corporations.
He has advised companies on a variety of acquisition, financing, and general business and legal issues, including matters involving real estate, securities laws, health care, intellectual property, employee contracts and compensation arrangements, bankruptcy and technology licensing.
Mr. Kye speaks on corporate and M&A matters, including presentations at The Entrepreneurship Institute’s Presidents’ Symposium and the American Bar Association’s Annual Meeting. Mr. Kye regularly teaches continuing legal education classes in such areas as mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital.
Mr. Kye currently serves on the firm’s Diversity Committee and has previously served on the firm’s hiring committee and as the Co-Chair of the firm’s summer Associate Program.
Mr. Kye serves on the board of directors of two Chicago-based nonprofit organizations, Urban Gateways and CASL. Urban Gateways provides art and literature education to underprivileged children, and CASL provides social services and support to immigrant families.
- Member, Illinois State Bar Association
- Member, Korean American Bar Association
- University of Chicago Law School, J.D., 1997
- Northwestern University, B.A., 1992
Chicago-based Vedder Price is notable for its work in private equity, especially acquisitions, and for its skills in relation to complex regulated industries such as financial services, health care, gaming, and investment services (mutual funds and broker-dealers). The group’s chair, Michael A. Nemeroff is notable for the breadth of his expertise; advising private equity firms and hedge funds, and advising on leveraged and management buyouts, and advising on structures for executive compensation. With equally broad skills, vice chair, Joseph H. Kye advises on debt and equity offerings in addition to M&A and private equity matters. Adam S. Lewis advises on the full range of corporate transactions, and PE fund formations. In addition to acquisitions work, Shelby E. Parnes and Benjamin O. Williams assist public and private companies on partnership formations, governance and securities rules and regulations, including SEC filings.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - finance
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - finance
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)