Ryan S. Hedges > Vedder Price > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
Vedder Price Offices
222 NORTH LASALLE STREET, SUITE 2600
CHICAGO, IL 60601-1003
- Go to...
Ryan S. Hedges
Litigation - Government Investigations & White Collar Defense
Mr. Hedges represents companies and individuals in their most sensitive and high-profile matters involving the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Department of Health and Human Services (HHS-OIG) and many other government agencies.
Mr. Hedges has substantial experience representing clients in civil False Claims Act (FCA) litigation and parallel criminal investigations in the areas of health care, government contracting and other industries.
Mr. Hedges routinely handles white collar criminal defense and other enforcement matters involving the Anti-Kickback Statute (AKS) and Stark Law, health care fraud, whistleblower claims, securities and financial fraud, accounting irregularities, insider trading, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), official bribery, defense contractor fraud, export control laws, immigration, environmental crimes, tax, antitrust, bank fraud, money laundering, obstruction of justice, extortion, consumer protection, and mail, wire and honest services fraud. Mr. Hedges also conducts internal investigations into possible wrongdoing and counsels clients regarding compliance in these areas, as well as in connection with transaction due diligence.
Prior to joining Vedder Price, Mr. Hedges served for more than seven years as an Assistant U.S. Attorney in Chicago investigating and prosecuting complex financial crimes. Selected to the U.S. Attorney’s team dedicated to prosecuting health care fraud, Mr. Hedges investigated and prosecuted some of the largest and most complex health care fraud cases recently charged in the Northern District of Illinois. Notably, Mr. Hedges co-led the multi-year investigation and resulting prosecution of 11 administrators and doctors at the former Sacred Heart Hospital, which culminated in a seven-week jury trial and guilty verdicts against the hospital’s CEO and two other top administrators. This case received the prestigious Investigations Award for Excellence from the Council for the Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency (CIGIE) after nomination by HHS-OIG.
Mr. Hedges demonstrates a commitment to pro bono service by representing low-income individuals in federal criminal defense matters and by devoting time to other criminal justice reform matters. Mr. Hedges serves on the firm’s Pro Bono Committee, Diversity Committee, Associate Evaluation Committee, and as the Associate Development Coordinator for the Litigation Practice area.
Mr. Hedges previously served as a law clerk to the Honorable Kim McLane Wardlaw of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. While in law school, Mr. Hedges served as Editor-in-Chief of the Southern California Law Review.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law, J.D., 2001
- Northwestern University, B.S., 1993
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - finance
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - finance
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)