Michael J. Edelman > Vedder Price > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Vedder Price Offices
1633 Broadway 31st Floor
New York, New York 10019
- Go to...
Michael J. Edelman
Insolvency, Bankruptcy & Corporate Reorganization
Michael J. Edelman practices both the corporate and litigation sides of the bankruptcy and restructuring fields, and also has extensive experience in aircraft financings and aircraft asset dispositions. His practice involves all aspects of bankruptcy litigation, proceedings, negotiation and restructuring. Mr. Edelman has experience in many of the significant Chapter 11 reorganizations and out-of-court restructurings of the past two decades as counsel to creditors, debtors and financial institutions.
Mr. Edelman also has been engaged in numerous representations involving international airline restructurings and enforcement actions, such as Varig, Air Comet and Mexicana. He also has extensive experience in distressed asset litigation and numerous trial and appellate representations (including numerous Circuit Court victories, such as his recent successful representation of the Class C Noteholders in NextCard/NextBank credit card securitization, in which Mr. Edelman prevailed before the Second Circuit in which his clients were awarded all of the remaining assets held by the securitization vehicle). Mr. Edelman also has handled an extensive number of out-of-court reorganizations for companies large and small. He has helped implement numerous court-approved debtor-in-possession financings and several unique financing and asset sale structures through bankruptcy cases, such as structuring insurance settlements and asset purchases in several asbestos cases.
In addition to other types of restructuring work, Mr. Edelman has had significant experience consulting on in-court and out-of-court restructurings of leveraged lease and mortgaged aircraft financings. He has also been recognized as one of the leading counsel handling enforcements, restructurings, and reorganizations involving airlines and aircraft. In this regard, he has authored the United States Chapter in Aircraft Repossession and Enforcement, Practical Aspects (Ravi Nath & Berend Crans eds., International Bar Association and Kluwer Law International, 2009) and been selected to co-author with Douglas J. Lipke a forthcoming chapter in Colliers on Airline Industry Reorganizations.
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1990
- University of Pennsylvania, B.A., 1987, cum laude
- University of Pennsylvania, B.S., 1987, cum laude
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Land use/zoning
- Industry focus > Transport: aviation and air travel - finance
- Industry focus > Transport: rail and road - finance
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Industry focus > Transport: shipping - finance
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense