Sean Ryan > Eversheds Sutherland > Dublin, Ireland > Lawyer Profile
Eversheds Sutherland Offices
ONE EARLSFORT CENTRE
- Go to...
Partner, Corporate and Commercial
"A 'measured and knowledgeable' corporate lawyer who is 'good at pointing out the issues in negotiations. He helps to define the client's position, and explains the benefits and drawbacks of what to sacrifice and what to hold on to'." - Chambers Global 2016
Sean's recent experience includes:
- Advising Kenmare Resources plc,a mining company listed on the Irish and London Stock Exchanges, in relation to its US$270m equity fundraising.
- Advising Payzone plc in relation to its disposal of subsidiaries in France, Italy, Spain, Germany, Poland & The Netherlands.
- Advising Shared Access, a company involved in the deployment of wireless networks and the management of telecommunication sites in Ireland.
- Advising the shareholders of Wrightway Underwriting in its acquisition by Zurich Insurance Ireland Limited.
- Advising BT Ireland on its outsourcing agreement with O2 Ireland and in respect of the sale of its customer and small business broadband and voice customer base to Vodafone.
- Advising the Irish Waste Management Association on its grounds of complaint under Irish and EU Competition law in respect of the contract for the proposed 600,000 (€350m) tonne incinerator at Poolbeg, Dublin, including the making of detailed submissions to both the Irish Competition Authority and the EU Commission.
- Advising the Irish Pension Board on its first ever Dawn Raid. The raid led to a successful prosecution.
- Advising Verizon Wireless on EU Competition law trends / legislation relevant to its business.
- Appointed by the Irish Competition Authority to act as monitoring trustee in connection with the operations of FM104 in the four month period between signing and completion of the sale of that radio station by Communicorp to UTV.
Ireland > Commercial, corporate and M&A
The members of Eversheds Sutherland‘s team ‘make it their business to understand their clients and the industry in which they work‘; clients include international companies such as Virtus Health and Irish businesses such as Clanwilliam and Cairn Homes. Lee Murphy acted for Pimco Funds Ireland on the sale of its interests in Citywest Properties, and Gavin O’Flaherty assisted Blue Insurance with the sale of the majority of its share capital to Covermore Insurance. Gerard Ryan heads the practice; he is described as ‘a different class of solicitor, a down-to-earth genius‘. Sean Ryan is also noted.
Ireland > EU and competition
Eversheds Sutherland is particularly strong in merger control, dawn raids, state aid and competition law compliance. Highlights included practice head Sean Ryan advising Sojitz Corporation on its EU merger notification to the EU Commission and Blue Insurance on the merger control aspects of its acquisition by Zurich. Senior associate Lisa Devanny is also noted.
Ireland > Telecoms
Peter Curran and Sean Ryan lead the practice at Eversheds Sutherland, which counts ComReg and Persona among its clients. Highlights included advising enet, the lead member of a consortium, on its bid for the National Broadband Plan and assisting electronic payments company Payzone with the reseller terms and end-user licence terms for a new system. IP and data protection specialist Marie McGinley is also noted.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Banking and finance
- Capital markets
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Dispute resolution
- Energy and natural resources
- Healthcare and life sciences
- Information technology
- Insolvency and corporate restructuring
- Planning and environment
- Public sector
- EU and competition
- Intellectual property