Anthea Whitton > Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP > Leeds, England > Lawyer Profile
Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP Offices
- Go to...
Anthea is a highly respected pensions law practitioner. She has 20 years' experience of advising pension schemes and their sponsors. Anthea advises companies, trustees, public sector bodies, insurance companies and other retail pension providers on all matters connected with pensions. Pensions is a complex subject (full of jargon) and Anthea excels at simplifying legal issues for clients, identifying key points and helping clients achieve their aims. Client feedback demonstrates that they value her ability to combine technical expertise with a pragmatic, commercial approach and an understanding of their appetite for risk. Anthea is also recognised for her swift and responsive service.
Anthea is particularly known for her work on mergers, acquisitions, scheme funding, scheme change/benefit re-design projects and bulk purchase annuity policies and winding up. Anthea advised the British Airways pension scheme on their 2018 £4.5billion buy-in project.
Anthea is also at the forefront of work on mastertrusts (both DC and DB). She advised the People’s Pension (the largest DC mastertrust in the UK) on its application to the Pensions Regulator for authorisation. She advises the trustees of the Deloitte Pensions Master Trust - a leading UK defined benefit master trusts and one of a new breed of consolidation vehicles.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Clients consider Eversheds Sutherland (International) LLP to be ‘one of the best firms in the region’ for pensions law expertise. The group frequently advises on multi-billion pound schemes, with practice head Anthea Whitton noted for her expertise in both DB and DC master trusts. It has a strong pool of juniors, including principal associates Andy Wright and Catherine Lonergan. Legal director Gemma Hanley is also recommended for her experience in scheme closure, mergers, compliance issues and industry wide schemes. Richard Shelton left the firm in September 2021 for Addleshaw Goddard.
- Leading individuals - Yorkshire and the Humber > Employment > Pensions
- Pensions - Yorkshire and the Humber > Employment
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Banking and finance
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate and commercial: Leeds, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire
- Public sector > Education
- Employment > Employment: Leeds and West Yorkshire; North Yorkshire
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Employment > Health and safety
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Employment > Pensions
- Real estate > Property litigation