Mr Hwan Kim > Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP Offices
2099 PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE, N.W.
WASHINGTON DC 20006
- Go to...
Mr Hwan Kim
Hwan Kim is a partner in the Corporate Practice Group in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office and Seoul office.
Mr. Kim counsels public and private entities, their shareholders and boards of directors, on a range of corporate matters, including corporate governance, mergers and acquisitions, public offerings, private placements, joint ventures and crisis/dispute management. In particular he counsels a wide range of developers as well as construction, heavy industry, and petrochemical companies involved in the energy industry throughout the world. He has also advised renewable energy companies involved in wind, solar, and wave power generation. As a member of the firm’s Korea practice, Hwan counsels Korean multinational companies conducting business in the United States and the Middle East. Leveraging his educational background in both law and economics, he has advised clients through a broad array of complex business transactions and sensitive disputes involving governments or state owned enterprises, including investor-state dispute settlement (ICSID arbitration). A native of Korea, Hwan has previously served as the Assistant General Counsel for Samsung Group in charge of international legal affairs, General Counsel for Samsung Chemical Group, and the Chief Legal Counsel for Samsung’s Olympic Task Force Team.
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 1989; M.A.E.P., Boston University, 1987; B.A., Yonsei University, 1984
United States > Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
West Coast-based firm Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP has offices across California, and primarily handles disputes related to public and private projects. Co-chair of the construction group Candace Matson, supported by Robert Sturgeon, defended Parsons Corporation against claims amounting to $136m relating to an accident on a cell tower site. San Diego-based partners John Yacovelle and Marisa Miller successfully secured a $152m settlement for long-term client San Diego Gas and Electric Company against Mitsubishi Heavy Industries relating to the premature shutdown of a nuclear facility. The pair were supported by Neil Popović and associate Shanna Pearce, based in the San Francisco and San Diego offices respectively. Matson worked alongside Harold Hamersmith to defend Jacobs Project Management Company in a bid protest lodged by a competitor for major works in Los Angeles. Washington DC-based Hwan Kim is also noted. Unless otherwise stated, named attorneys are based in Los Angeles.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Advertising and marketing: transactional
- Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Construction (including construction litigation)
- Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Environment: regulatory
- Government contracts
- Healthcare: health insurers
- Healthcare: service providers
- Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Land use/zoning
- M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Media and entertainment: litigation
- Media and entertainment: transactional
- Not-for-profit (Fortune 1000 private foundations, and national trade associations and charities)
- Real estate
- Technology transactions
- Telecoms and broadcast: regulatory
- Telecoms and broadcast: transactional
- Trademarks: litigation