John Inglis > Shearman & Sterling LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Shearman & Sterling LLP Offices
9 APPOLD STREET
- Go to...
Project Development & Finance, Energy, Infrastructure
To read more, visit: https://www.shearman.com/people/i/inglis-john?section=experience
From locations in the USA, London, and elsewhere, Shearman & Sterling LLP provides Quatari clients with the full range of corporate and finance support on their global investments. George Casey in New York (global managing partner), Laurence Levy and John Inglis in London and Domenico Fanuele in Rome are the main contacts. The work encompasses cross-border M&A transactions, carve-out sales, strategic investments and joint ventures. It offering extends to capital markets and specialist funds matters.
Shearman & Sterling LLP is ‘an exceptional law firm, highly committed, knowledgeable, creative and solution-driven‘. The London office has a track record of involvement in jurisdictions as diverse as Kenya, Cameroon, Mozambique, Nigeria, Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Brazil and Argentina. In the projects space, it has frequently been involved in high-profile emerging markets projects, transactions and disputes, regularly advising on first-in-country and first-in-kind matters. Iain Elder has extensive experience in the development and financing of energy and infrastructure projects, a practice he leads in EMEA, as well as being head of the Africa strategy group. In that practice, Nicholas Buckworth is also highly recommended. Sanja Udovicic is ‘an outstanding lawyer with a commercial and collaborative approach‘ to advising development banks, ECAs, Islamic financiers and sponsors on energy and natural resources projects. Of counsel John Inglis also handles power generation projects, while senior associate Colm Ó hUiginn has experience in solar projects in Azerbaijan.
London > Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)(Hall of Fame)
US firm Shearman & Sterling LLP’s power practice group is singled out as being ‘exceptional’ by clients and houses a team of ‘market leaders’ including practice head Iain Elder. The team handles large project financing mandates across emerging markets and has expertise acting in energy transactions across Asia and the Middle East. Nicholas Buckworth has over three decades of experience advising sponsors on financing developments across EMEA, as does Sanja Udovicic who is a key name for lenders, while John Inglis handles renewable energy and infrastructure projects for power generation. The group can leverage its substantial international offering on cross-border work, and liaises with its offices in Abu Dhabi and Germany. Katie Hicks and Tim Sheddick departed the firm to join the global project development practice at White & Case LLP in early 2021.
Shearman & Sterling LLP’s international oil and gas practice is described by clients as ‘exceptional’ and handles complex transactions and disputes across Africa and the Middle East. Headed by Iain Elder, the group focuses on project finance, developments, and major gas projects. Sanja Udovicic is a key name, alongside former London office head Nick Buckworth, who has three decades of experience in project development and finance. Counsel John Inglis handles upstream oil and gas matters, and has a strong presence in Asia.
- Hall of Fame - London > Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Hall of Fame - London > Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
- Leading individuals - London > Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
- Emerging markets - London > Industry focus
- Oil and gas - London > Projects, energy and natural resources
- Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables) - London > Projects, energy and natural resources
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Debt capital markets
- Finance > Derivatives and structured products
- Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- Finance > High yield
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Power (including electricity, nuclear and renewables)
- Finance > Acquisition finance
- Corporate and commercial > Equity capital markets – mid-large cap
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Investment fund formation and management > Hedge funds
- Finance > Bank lending: investment grade debt and syndicated loans
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Infrastructure
- Insurance > Insurance: corporate and regulatory
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals, £500m+
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Mining and minerals
- Finance > Corporate restructuring & insolvency
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions – high-value deals (£250m+)