Mr Paul Schreiber > Shearman & Sterling LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Shearman & Sterling LLP Offices
599 LEXINGTON AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022-6069
- Go to...
Mr Paul Schreiber
Paul Schreiber, who founded Shearman & Sterling’s Asset Management practice more than 20 years ago, currently serves as a senior member of the Investment Funds practice.
He has more than 40 years of experience representing both U.S. and foreign public and private investment companies, their sponsors, advisors, directors, underwriters and administrators in all their registered fund formations as well as regulatory aspects of fund and investment advisory operations, including new product development. He structured some of the earliest registered funds of hedge funds, among a broad range of highly innovative products. He also has a broad background in corporate finance, securities and futures regulations.
Paul regularly represents fund management organizations and fund families (including Torchlight Investors, Skybridge Capital, Miller/Howard Funds, Shorenstein Properties and Shenkman Capital), independent fund boards (including Blackstone Alternative Funds Independent Trustees and Victory Funds Independent Directors), family offices as well as major sponsors and administrators of offshore funds and their related funds.
Member, American Bar Association and its Committee on Commodities Regulation, Corporation and Banking and Business Law Section
Member, New York State Bar Association and the International Bar Association
Member, Federal Bar Association
New York University School of Law, J.D., 1966, LL.M. (Editor of the Annual Survey of American Law)
City College of New York, B.S.
Shearman & Sterling LLP‘s ‘highly professional‘ team is noted for its ‘deep understanding of the business issues at hand‘. Practice head Sean Finley (‘intelligent, measured and thoughtful‘) advises start-up fund manager BlockTower Capital Advisors on formation and regulatory issues regarding investment in cryptocurrency assets. Of counsel Paul Schreiber continues to advise Shenkman Capital Management on regulatory matters. Other key names include Nathan Greene and of counsel Buddy Donohue. Additional clients for the New York-based group include Maverick Capital Management and TRG Management.
At Shearman & Sterling LLP, the team is noted for its strength in assisting independent boards and managers with the gamut of mutual funds matters. Jay Baris and Nathan Greene (‘true stand-outs on mutual fund board matters‘, according to clients) advise Victory Funds and its trustees on registered funds and ETF matters, including the acquisition of Harvest Volatility Management and USAA Asset Management in two separate transactions. Greene provides ongoing advice to First Eagle Funds, which manages $111bn. Other key lawyers include of counsel Paul Schreiber and of counsel Buddy Donohue. Other clients include SkyBridge Capital, Aberdeen Investment Funds and the independent trustees of Blackstone.
- Mutual/registered/ exchange-traded funds - United States > Investment fund formation and management
- Alternative/hedge funds - United States > Investment fund formation and management
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Tax > Financial products
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: global offerings
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Dispute resolution > International litigation
- Tax > International tax
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Real estate > Real estate
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Capital markets: debt
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/ exchange-traded funds
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: conventional power
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Tax > US taxes: contentious
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Finance > Project finance