Mr Manuel Orillac > Shearman & Sterling LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Shearman & Sterling LLP Offices
599 LEXINGTON AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022-6069
- Go to...
Mr Manuel Orillac
Capital Markets and Mergers & Acquisitions
Manuel Orillac is a partner in the Capital Markets and Mergers & Acquisitions practices.
He currently focuses on transactions in the Americas, with past experience in Europe and the Middle East. Manuel advises on complicated cross-border mergers and acquisition transactions, joint ventures, debt and equity offerings, and project financings.
He represents, among others, corporate, sovereign and financial institution clients including Autoridad del Canal de Panamá, Aeropuerto Internacional de Tocumen, AtlasBank, LNG Group Panama, Empresa Nacional del Petróleo, Transelec, Organización Corona, SQM, Citibank, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Deutsche Bank and J.P. Morgan.
Manuel joined the firm in 1985, and has practiced in the firm’s New York, Paris and Abu Dhabi offices.
English; French; Spanish
- New York
Shearman & Sterling LLP is rated for both bank side and issuer engagements, particularly those involving Canadian and Latin America entities. The firm is noted for its record in SEC-registered IPOs and debt offerings, along with Rule 144A/Regulation S offerings and private placements. In Latin America, the firm is also active in the sovereign issuance field. The firm’s well established offices in Toronto and Sao Paulo bring it a wealth of engagements with a number of New York partners and team members also plugged into the Canada and Latin America markets. Latin America giant Stuart Fleischmann retired in January 2022 and Latin America leader Antonia Stolper has become of counsel. Manuel Orillac and Grissel Mercado are now the key New York partners on Latin America deals. Jason Lehner splits his time between New York and Toronto and is key for Canada offerings.
Shearman & Sterling LLP has experienced a changing of the guard in its Latin America capital markets practice with the retirement of heavy-hitter Stuart K Fleischmann in January 2021 and following the retirement from the partnership of senior statesperson Antonia Stolper the previous year, although she remains of counsel at the firm. Manuel Orillac and Grissel Mercado have stepped up to lead many of the team’s top engagements, with Roberta Cherman providing further senior-level experience in Sao Paulo. The team continues to represent leading international and Latin American banks, along with a range of regional issuers. The practice remains best known for project bonds, along with financial institutions, energy (including renewables) and infrastructure-related bond offerings. ESG and sustainability-linked bond offerings constitute another growth area for the group. Maria Marulanda Larsen and Sao Paulo’s Jonathan Lewis are additional key names at counsel level. Named individuals are based in New York unless stated otherwise.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: global offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- Tax > Financial products
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Dispute resolution > International litigation
- Tax > International tax
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: electric power
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: contentious
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Finance > Project finance