Ms Denise Grant > Shearman & Sterling LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Shearman & Sterling LLP Offices
599 LEXINGTON AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022-6069
- Go to...
Ms Denise Grant
Project Development & Finance
Denise Grant is a partner in the Project Development & Finance practice. She advises financial institutions; including commercial banks and DFIs, as well as multinational corporations, in their secured and unsecured, domestic and cross-border, private financing activities, with a particular focus on Latin America.
Denise’s clients include Bank of America, Banco de Chile, BBVA, Citigroup, CA-CIB, IFC and SMBC, as well as AES Gener, American Axle, E.CL, Transelec, Viacom, and the lenders to Latin America oil and gas giants Pemex and Petrobras.
Twice lauded as one of the “Most Influential Black Lawyers” by Savoy Magazine, Denise has also been named one of only five Tier 1 lawyers in Latin America-wide Banking & Finance by Chambers & Partners and one of only 10 “Leading Lawyers” in Banking & Finance by Legal 500 Latin America.
A longstanding champion of diversity and inclusion, Denise is a founder of the firm’s Diversity & Inclusion Committee. Under her leadership, the initiative has become part of the DNA of the firm, which has been recognized as a “Top Firm for Diversity” by The American Lawyer and one of the “Best Law Firms for Minority Attorneys and for Minority Equity Partners” by Law360.
As Co-Chair of the Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Denise leads the Firm’s diversity and inclusion mission through all aspects of Firm administration, operations and through client relationships.
- New York
- District of Columbia
Georgetown University Law Center
George Washington University
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
Shearman & Sterling LLP is a longstanding leader in Latin America banking and finance. It continues to standout for its presence in acquisition financings, general corporate lending, structured financings, and refinancings, including ESG and sustainability-linked loans. The experienced team is also noted for its expertise across the bank and bond-driven financings’ segments. It has strong connections to a range of international banks, Latin American lenders, multilaterals and ECAs, as well as Latin American borrowers – notably in the oil and gas, mining and natural resources, and power sectors. Denise Grant is a giant in the market, most notably across acquisition financings, project finance and restructurings. The firm’s global project development and finance head, Cynthia Urda Kassis, has an outstanding record in mining and resources financings; while, Augusto Ruiloba and Robert O’Leary (appointed partner and counsel, respectively, in July 2022) impress with regard to non-recourse and acquisition financing of energy, mining and infrastructure projects. All named individuals are based in New York. Former practice co-head Alexandro Padrés left the firm in May 2022.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: global offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: high-yield debt offerings
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: oil and gas
- Tax > Financial products
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Dispute resolution > International litigation
- Tax > International tax
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings
- Industry focus > Energy transactions: electric power
- Industry focus > Energy: renewable/alternative power
- Dispute resolution > Financial services litigation
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Antitrust > Merger control
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Antitrust > Cartel
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Real estate > Real estate
- Tax > US taxes: contentious
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Finance > Project finance