Dr Yas Banifatemi > Shearman & Sterling LLP > Paris, France > Lawyer Profile
Shearman & Sterling LLP Offices
7 RUE JACQUES BINGEN
- Go to...
Dr Yas Banifatemi
Public International Law
Partner and Deputy practice leader in Sherman & Sterling’s International Arbitration practice
Head of Shearman & Sterling’s Public International Law practice
Yas is widely recognised as one of the most prominent international arbitration and public international law specialists worldwide. She advises and represents States, State-owned entities and companies on both public international law and international arbitration issues. She acts as counsel and arbitrator in international arbitrations conducted pursuant to a variety of arbitration rules, with particular focus on investment protection, oil & gas and general commercial matters.
Yas teaches International Investment Law at Panthéon-Sorbonne University (Paris I) and is a Visiting Lecturer in Law at Yale Law School. She has authored numerous publications on international arbitration and public international law and participates in leading working groups and think tanks on international arbitration.
French, English and Farsi
- Vice-President, ICC International Court of Arbitration (2015–)
- Member, ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR (2015–)
- Member, LCIA Court (2015–)
- Member, ICSID Panel of Arbitrators (2017–23)
- Member, HKIAC Panel of Arbitrators (2016–21)
- Founding member and Co-Secretary-General, International Academy for Arbitration Law (2011–13)
- Member, Editorial Board, ICSID Review, Foreign Investment Law Journal (2012–2014)
- Member, Editorial Board, Yearbook on International Investment Law and Policy
- Chair, Georgian International Arbitration Center (GIAC) Commission for Final Revision of the GIAC Arbitration Rules
- Member, SCC Rules Revision Committee
- Member, World Bank’s Investing Across Borders (IAB)
- Member, ILA Study Group on the Soft Law Instruments in Foreign Investment Law (2008–14)
- Member, ILA Study Group on the Use of Private Law Principles for the Development of International Law
- Member, IBA Investment Treaty Sub-Committee
- Member, IBA Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitral Awards Sub-Committee
- Member, Advisory Board, Africa International Legal Awareness (AILA)
- Member, Advisory Board, Association of Young Arbitrators (AYA), Nigeria
- Expert, joint UNCITRAL-CIDS expert Group meeting on possible reforms of investor-State dispute settlement
- Member, International Arbitration Institute (IAI), Comité Français de l’Arbitrage (CFA), Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA), London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- Member, Advisory Board, Institute for Transnational Arbitration (ITA)
- Member, American Society of International Law (ASIL), European Society of International Law (ESIL) and French Society of International Law (SFDI)
- Panthéon-Assas University (Paris II), Ph.D. in International Law
- Harvard Law School, LL.M.
Lawyer Rankings(Leading individuals)
The Paris-based international arbitration team at Shearman & Sterling LLP is often instructed by the Algerian government in disputes. Yas Banifatemi and Benjamin Siino successfully acted for the Algerian government in a dispute against Orascom TMTI, involving an award by an international arbitral tribunal. Gaillard and Maude Lebois also successfully defended a claim against the Algerian state by a Spanish construction group. Coralie Darrigade represents companies and states in arbitrations.