Shearman & Sterling LLP > Paris, France > Firm Profile
Shearman & Sterling LLP Offices
7 RUE JACQUES BINGEN
Shearman & Sterling LLP > The Legal 500 RankingsShearman & Sterling LLP handles a wide range of financing matters for leading banks, alternative debt providers, sponsors and corporates, with a particular focus on real estate financing and LBO financing. Working in collaboration with the firm’s international network across Europe and the US, the team is particularly sought after to act on cross-border mandates. Pierre-Nicolas Ferrand, who leads the practice, is experienced in acquisition finance, real estate finance and debt restructuring. Maud Manon joined the group in January 2022 from DLA Piper.
Other key lawyers:
King Street Capital Management
Natixis Securities Americas LLC
- Represented BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, Natixis, Nordea Bank Abp and Société Générale as initial purchasers in connection with Consolis Group S.A.S.’s €300m offering of 5.750% senior secured notes due in 2026 by Compact Bidco B.V., and the arrangers in connection with the company’s super senior revolving credit facilities agreement and the inter-creditor agreement.
- Advised the banking pool on the signing of a new €345m five-year senior secured revolving credit facility for Loxam.
‘A client-friendly team, extremely involved in the service of its clients with an availability and an unfailing commitment of the M&A partner.’
‘Guillaume Isautier successfully manages to combine a remarkable work force, protection of the interests of his clients, a very appreciable relational mode in terms of interactions and availability, all at very competitive prices.’
King Street Capital Management
Japan Nuclear Fuel Limited
- Represented Société Générale in connection with the sale of its Norwegian subsidiary, SG Finans AS, a leading equipment finance and factoring company in the Nordics, to Nordea Bank Abp, the largest financial services group in the Nordics listed on the Copenhagen Stock Exchange, Helsinki Stock Exchange and Stockholm Stock Exchange.
- Acted for ALD Automotive, one of the leading global providers of mobility solutions, in connection with the creation of a joint venture with Ford dedicated to provide new integrated fleet leasing and management solutions across Europe under the name of Ford Fleet Management.
- Represented LBO France in connection with the acquisition of a majority stake in Dutscher group, the leading independent distributor of R&D laboratory consumables and equipments in Europe.
‘The team has not only an unrivalled expertise with respect to the capital markets legal framework, but also a unique knowledge of the market practices and doctrine of the regulatory authorities due to its involvement in almost all the major transactions.’
‘Hervé Letréguilly and Séverine de La Courtie are very close to their clients, always trying to find pragmatic solutions with a very good understanding of their business issues.’
‘Hervé Letréguilly is creative and has a perfect mastery of market issues.’
Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank
Bank of America
- Advised STMicroelectronics on (i) a $1.5 billion dual-tranche offering of New Convertible Bonds and (ii) the early redemption of its 2022 Convertible Bonds.
- Acted for BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank, Coöperatieve Rabobank, Crédit Industriel et Commercial, Natixis, Société Générale, Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, and Mediobanca – Banca di Credito Finanziario as initial purchasers in Elior Group’s €550m offering of 3.75 percent senior notes due 2026.
- Advised BNP Paribas, Crédit Industriel et Commercial S.A., Société Générale and Crédit Agricole Corporate and Investment Bank as initial purchasers on Derichebourg SA’s $300m offering of 2.250% senior notes due 2028 as part of the financing of the proposed acquisition of the entire issued share capital of Groupe Ecore Holding S.A.S.
France > Project finance Tier 3Shearman & Sterling LLP
‘I was very happy with the responsiveness of the team and their technical skills.’
‘Lachlan Poustie is a partner with excellent contacts and very effective negotiation skills. He was able to involve the right people on our file and his expertise in project financing in Africa was extremely useful. He was able to carry out a particularly complex file and advise us on how to move forward.’
IFC – International Finance Corporate
EIB – European Investment Bank
OFID – Fund for International Development
DBSA- Development Bank of Southern Africa
AfDB – African Development Bank
EAIF – Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund
DEG – Deutsche Investitions und Entwicklungsgesellschaft
- Advised African Development Bank, Deutsche Bank, European Investment Bank, International Finance Corporation, OPEC Fund for International Development, Société de Promotion et de Participation pour la Coopération Economique (Proparco) and Standard Bank on the restructuring of the TAV Airports group’s two concessions in Tunisia (at Monastir and Enfidha).
France > Tax Tier 3Shearman & Sterling LLP’s tax team regularly assists the corporate and capital markets practice with many of its transactions. The practice is able to advise on complex M&A, debt and equity capital markets, financing and private equity transactions, acting for a wide range of clients, including leading banks, corporations as well as private equity funds, from mid- to larger deals. Practice head Niels Dejean is highly regarded. Counsel Anne-Sophie Maes and associate Charles Filleux-Pommerol regularly lead on tax in key transactions.
Other key lawyers:
Anne-Sophie Maes; Charles Filleux-Pommerol
‘Technically sound and proactive tax team.’
‘Niels Dejean is one of the best French tax lawyers. He understands business, has a great eye for detail and is very responsive and proactive.’
- Advised HalioDx and its shareholders on the sale of HalioDx, an immuno-oncology diagnostics company pioneering the immunological diagnosis of cancers, to Veracyte.
- Advised Constellium SE in connection with the transfer of its head office from Amsterdam to Paris.
Other key lawyers:
Alexander Marcopoulos; Elise Edson
‘The investment arbitration team has a unique set of capabilities and market expertise in leading complex investment disputes connected with Eastern Europe and worldwide. The firm is resourceful and is capable of managing the entire process efficiently and proactively. The firm’s partners are well versed in international investment law and represent the clients throughout the entire arbitration, including pleadings at the hearings.’
‘Jennifer Younan has an exceptionally calm and professional demeanour that makes clients rest assured that they are in good hands. She is always precise and up-to-the-point with her advice, finding the best solutions for clients in the shortest terms.’
‘World-class firm in the industry.’
‘Jenifer Younan has multi-industry expertise; always available. always on top of the material, a first-class lawyer.’
‘Excellent knowledge of our files and practical approach to technical and sectoral aspects.’
‘Excellent availability, listening to the client and other service providers involved in their cases. Excellent quality of partners and associates.’
‘Jennifer Younan is one of the finest, most distinguished and refined arbitration lawyers I have met and had the pleasure of working with.’
Ministry of Justice of Ukraine
Human Rights at Sea (HRAS)
- Representing Ukraine as respondent in an ICSID arbitration initiated by two affiliates of UC RUSAL in relation to an alleged investment in an aluminium and alumina production company.
- Representing Ukraine in an SCC arbitration in Stockholm brought by VEB.RF, Russia’s national economic development institution, in relation to sanctions and other measures allegedly targeting Russian banks in Ukraine after 2014.
Camilo Martínez; José Miguel Mendoza; Nicolás Polanía
‘DLA Piper Colombia is trusted business partner. Sergio Rojas and Camillo Martinez are top-notch litigators. They have respected bankruptcy and commercial experience. They make time to understand our business and legal needs. I would not make any decision without first consulting with Sergio and Camillo. (We also engaged Sergio and Camillo in a complicated matter before the Superintendencia de Companias.)‘
‘Sergio is thorough, responsive and knowledgeable about Colombia law and local practice. His ability to explain complex procedures is appreciated and a most useful skill.’
‘Lawyers who have attended us: Jose Miguel Mendoza; Sergio Londoño – concrete solutions, identifying the associated risks. Comprehensive support in the case attended, agility and opportunity for the required responses.‘
‘It is a dynamic team, attentive to responding on time and according to our needs to all the requirements in front of the processes in which they act as our attorneys-in-fact and show extensive knowledge on the subjects under litigation.‘
‘DLA Piper Martinez Beltran, has all the qualities that one can expect from a law firm, the most important for us is the integrity, the transparency, the honesty of their work. In the same way, I highlight from DLA the sense of belonging with which they assume each case, the discipline and rigour with which they understand the details of the cases under their charge and the seniority added to the knowledge of the law with which they define forceful winning strategies, clear and precise. We respect the other firms we work with, however DLA is undoubtedly the best, they are consistent, their processes, their manners and manners demonstrate the greatness of their team of lawyers.‘
‘The people at DLA Piper Martinez Beltran are the best lawyers in the country, that is because above all, before being lawyers, they are empathetic human beings, educated in values, aware of their privileges, of the impact of their work on a country like Colombia. Camilo Martinez and Sergio Rojas Quiñones are always available and alert, always taking care of our interests, always aware of the available resources and the limits to achieve the objectives. I fully trust them, their recommendations, decisions and actions. We are certain of the correctness of their actions, of the coherence between what they say with what they think and what they represent as the best law firm in the country. We have been with them for many years and they do not disappoint us.‘
‘In DLA Martinez Beltran they have included a series of webinar-like tools, with different topics, all of great impact in the current situation, clients appreciate it since it gives us the opportunity to anticipate, prepare for and prevent situations that could have negatively impacted our business.‘
Bolsa de Valores de Colombia
Chevron (Colombian branch)
Operadora de Carbón de Santa Marta (Carbosan)
Ernst and Young Audit
Shareholders of Comestibles Aldor
Consorcio Generación Ituango
Chevron Petroleum Company
Banco AV Villas
Epk Kids Smart
Corporación Club el Nogal
IRI de Colombia
Federación Nacional de Comerciantes – Fenalco
Gases Del Caribe
Tribeca Asset Management
Empresa de Energía de Honduras
- Represented Saur Colombia and Gestión Técnicas del Agua in ICC arbitration against Hipsitec Latam, Systems Solutions de Colombia and Inversiones H20 regarding multiple indemnity claims; and Inversiones Romero, seeking the application of a material adverse effect clause; both cases were subsequently negotiated.
- Represented private equity fund Tribeca Fund 1 in a $40m breach of shareholder agreement arbitration (brought by five mminiortiy shareholders) and a subsequent counterclaim seeking that hte shareholder-agreement’s penalty clause be declared void.
Lachlan Poustie; Samuel Ogunlaja; Aliahmed Hassanali
Other key lawyers:
‘Lachlan Poustie and Jonathan Toffolo are extremely responsive and able to meet very tight timelines.’
International Finance Corporate (IFC)
African Development Bank,
European Investment Bank
OPEC Fund for International Development
Société de Promotion et de Participation pour la Coopération Economique (Proparco)
- Advised African Development Bank, Deutsche Bank, EIB, IFC, OPEC Fund for International Development, Proparco and Standard Bank on the restructuring of TAV Airports group’s two concessions in Tunisia (at Monastir and Enfidha).
Shearman & Sterling LLP > Firm Profile
The firm: Shearman & Sterling LLP is an international law firm composed of 24 offices worldwide and 850 lawyers. The firm has been advising many of the world’s leading corporations and financial institutions, governments and governmental organisations for more than 140 years. The firm’s lawyers are committed to providing legal advice that is insightful and valuable to clients. This has resulted in groundbreaking transactions in all major regions of the world.
Established in 1963, the Paris office is both the firm’s oldest non-US practice and its third-largest office. It is a principal part of the firm’s European network and distinguishes itself by a remarkable international reach, notably in Latin America, Africa, Eastern Europe and the Middle East. The office advises on matters of French, US and international law.
The firm’s corporate practices, composed of approximately 40 lawyers, advise on equity and debt offerings, mergers and acquisitions, private equity, LBO transactions, and international joint ventures, acquisition finance, leveraged buyout financings, structured finance, management incentivisation, tax restructuring and transfer pricing. The firm handles both domestic transactions and cross-border transactions having a major French component, as well as international transactions.
The international arbitration team, which comprises over 50 lawyers, has represented companies, states and state-owned entities in arbitration proceedings under the rules of all major international arbitral institutions, subject to over 100 governing laws or international instruments. The team acts as counsel for investment, energy, construction, business combinations, financial, and general commercial disputes. The team is regarded as one of the world’s finest.
Areas of practice: Shearman & Sterling’s areas of practice include: international arbitration; public international law; capital markets; mergers and acquisitions; private equity; banking and finance; equity plans and management compensation; restructuring and insolvency; project development and finance; and tax.
|International arbitration||Emmanuel Gaillard|
|International arbitration||Yas Banifatemi|
|Public international law||Yas Banifatemi|
|Mergers and acquisitions||Guillaume Isautieremail@example.com||+33 1 53 89 89 25|
|Private equity||Guillaume Isautierfirstname.lastname@example.org||+33 1 53 89 89 25|
|Mergers and acquisitions||Nicolas Bombrunemail@example.com||+33 1 53 89 48 48|
|Private equity||Nicolas Bombrunfirstname.lastname@example.org||+33 1 53 89 48 48|
|International arbitration||Coralie Darrigade|
|Tax||Niels Dejeanemail@example.com||+33 1 53 89 71 20|
|European Governance and Benefits||Françoise Evenfirstname.lastname@example.org||+33 1 53 89 71 81|
|Finance||Pierre-Nicolas Ferrandemail@example.com||+33 1 53 89 71 77|
|Restructuring and insolvency||Pierre-Nicolas Ferrandfirstname.lastname@example.org||+33 1 53 89 71 77|
|Capital Markets||Séverine de La Courtieemail@example.com||+33 1 53 89 81 89|
|International arbitration||Maude Lebois|
|Capital markets||Hervé Letréguillyfirstname.lastname@example.org||+33 1 53 89 71 30|
|Tax||Anne-Sophie Maesemail@example.com||+33 1 53 89 81 75|
|Mergers and acquisitions||Cyrille Niedzielskifirstname.lastname@example.org||+33 1 53 89 89 30|
|Private Equity||Thomas Philippeemail@example.com||+33 1 53 89 81 70|
|Project Development & Finance||Lachlan Poustiefirstname.lastname@example.org||+33 1 53 89 70 80|
|International arbitration||Mohamed Shelbaya|
|Equity plans and management compensation||Sami Toutounjiemail@example.com||+33 1 53 89 70 62|
|European Governance and Benefits||Sami Toutounjifirstname.lastname@example.org||+33 1 53 89 70 62|
|International arbitration||Jennifer Younan|
|Yas Banifatemi||Partner and Deputy practice leader in Sherman & Sterling’s International Arbitration practiceHead of…||View Profile|
|Nicolas Bombrun||Partner||View Profile|
|Coralie Darrigade||Partner in Shearman & Sterling’s International Arbitration practice||View Profile|
|Niels Dejean||Partner||View Profile|
|Françoise Even||View Profile|
|Pierre-Nicolas Ferrand||Partner||View Profile|
|Emmanuel Gaillard||Global Head of Disputes||View Profile|
|Guillaume Isautier||Partner and Head of the Mergers & Acquisitions practice and Deputy Head…||View Profile|
|Maude Lebois||Partner in Shearman & Sterling’s International Arbitration practice||View Profile|
|Hervé Letréguilly||Partner||View Profile|
|Anne-Sophie Maes||Counsel||View Profile|
|Thomas Philippe||Partner||View Profile|
|Mohamed Shelbaya||Partner in Shearman & Sterling’s International Arbitration practice||View Profile|
|Sami Toutounji||Partner||View Profile|
|Jennifer Younan||Partner in Shearman & Sterling’s International Arbitration practice||View Profile|
|Séverine de La Courtie||Counsel||View Profile|
Staff FiguresNumber of lawyers : 850 at this office : 85
LanguagesArabic Armenian Belarusian Bengali Bulgarian Dutch English Farsi Finnish French German Greek Hindi Italian Japanese Macedonian Portuguese Romanian Russian Serbo-Croatian Spanish Swedish Ukrainian
OtherOther offices : Abu Dhabi Other offices : Al-Khobar Other offices : Beijing Other offices : Brussels Other offices : Dubai Other offices : Frankfurt Other offices : Hong Kong Other offices : Jeddah Other offices : London Other offices : Menlo Park Other offices : Milan Other offices : New York Other offices : Riyadh Other offices : Rome Other offices : San Francisco Other offices : São Paulo Other offices : Shanghai Other offices : Singapore Other offices : Tokyo Other offices : Toronto Other offices : Washington DC
- Banking and finance: transactional work
- Capital markets: equity capital markets
- Mergers and acquisitions