Christian Canas > Seyfarth Shaw LLP > Los Angeles (Downtown), United States > Lawyer Profile
Seyfarth Shaw LLP Offices
333 SOUTH HOPE STREET
LOS ANGELES , CA 90071-1406
- Go to...
Christian advises nonprofits and tax-exempt organizations on a variety of structural and operating issues.
Christian’s practice includes advising public charities, private foundations, health care organizations, and educational institutions regarding formations, determinations of exempt status, dissolutions, restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, affiliations, and other strategic transactions. In addition, he counsels clients in the areas of executive compensation, conflicts of interest, corporate governance, commercial co-ventures, fundraising, grantmaking, and property tax exemption and refunds. Christian also represents clients under audit by the Internal Revenue Service, Franchise Tax Board, and California Attorney General.
- JD, University of California, Los Angeles School of Law
- BA, Columbia UniversityEconomics and Political Science
The tax-exempt practice at Seyfarth Shaw LLP is housed in Los Angeles and has extensive transactional tax expertise and experience in regulatory compliance for higher education and healthcare sector clients. Jointly managed by Ofer Lion and experienced practitioner Douglas Mancino, the team handles non-profit formation, international operations and lobbying and political activity for large public charities. It can also leverage its firm wide litigation offering to handle tax-related disputes. Senior counsel Christian Canas advises on exempt status formation and operational matters whilst Richard Schwartz in New York is the contact for hospitals on employee benefits, having over three decades of experience in this area. Lisa Schaures joined the team in Seattle from Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt in September 2021 and advises non-profits on corporate tax issues.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Intellectual property > Trade secrets (litigation and non-contentious matters)
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Dispute resolution > E-discovery
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Government > Government contracts
- Real estate > Real estate
- Industry focus > Cannabis
- Dispute resolution > Product liability, mass tort and class action - defense: consumer products (including tobacco)
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious