Ms Ellen McLaughlin > Seyfarth Shaw LLP > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
Seyfarth Shaw LLP Offices
233 SOUTH WACKER DRIVE
CHICAGO, IL 60606 - 6448
- Go to...
Ms Ellen McLaughlin
Labor and Employment Department; Employment Litigation and Counseling Practice Group.
Ellen McLaughlin is a partner in Seyfarth Shaw LLP’s Chicago office. She is a trusted advisor on workplace issues, with a practice focused on creating compliant HR practices and systems to achieve business purposes and avoid litigation, advising on complex leave and accommodation issues and investigating C-suite issues.
Ellen is an employment attorney with more than 30 years of experience representing employers across the country. In addition to having an extensive advice and counseling practice, Ellen is also a litigator, which gives her an additional important perspective when advising clients on workplace issues. Ellen has significant experience and expertise in the leave and reasonable accommodation areas, having drafted comments to the proposed regulations under the ADA, ADAAA and FMLA. She was also invited to testify before the EEOC at a public hearing on leave and other reasonable accommodation issues. She is a frequent lecturer at the national level on a wide variety of employment law topics. She is national chair of the firm’s women’s affinity group and member of the Lawyer Development Committee, Income Partner Coach and Triad mentor.
Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers; Board of Directors, National Employment Law Institute; Board of Directors, American Arbitration Association; American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section and Individual Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee.
JD, University of Notre Dame; BA, University of Notre Dame, cum laude.
Travel and wine
Clients appreciate Seyfarth Shaw LLP for being ‘smart, creative, practical and for genuinely caring about getting the best quality’. The team has experience in advising on organizational change and developing innovative technology tools as well as in workplace discrimination and harassment counseling. Chicago-based David Baffa chairs the workplace compliance solutions practice group and is an expert on a variety of employment-related matters, such as workforce reductions and restructurings, pay equity and training. Senior counsel Lawrence Lorber in Washington DC is regularly engaged by the US Chamber of Commerce in connection with employment issues, including regulatory representation on pending rule making. Ellen McLaughlin, who is based in Chicago, assisted an automotive manufacturer in increasing productivity while staying compliant with federal and state laws. The firm also has a dedicated group advising on pay equity, which is led by Christine Hendrickson (recently promoted to partner) and Annette Tyman in Chicago. Lisa Damon in Boston has ‘detailed knowledge of the law and is pragmatic and unfailingly responsive’. Further notable practitioners are the ‘fantastic’ Daniel Waldman in New York, the ‘excellent strategist’ Jon Meer in Los Angeles and Frederick Smith in Atlanta, who has a ‘great amount of experience to lean on’. In New York, William Perkins is well versed in the different forms of discrimination and harassment claims, while associate Joshua Seidman specializes in paid sick leave matters. Chelsea Mesa in Los Angeles has a ‘meticulous no-nonsense approach’. Scott Nelson was a new arrival in May 2018 in the Houston office, joining from Baker McKenzie LLP.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Intellectual property > Trade secrets (litigation and non-contentious matters)
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Dispute resolution > E-discovery
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Government > Government contracts
- Real estate > Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation - defense
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious