Ms Ellen McLaughlin > Seyfarth Shaw LLP > Chicago, United States > Lawyer Profile
Seyfarth Shaw LLP Offices
233 SOUTH WACKER DRIVE
CHICAGO, IL 60606 - 6448
- Go to...
Ms Ellen McLaughlin
Labor and Employment Department; Employment Litigation and Counseling Practice Group.
Ellen McLaughlin is a partner in Seyfarth Shaw LLP’s Chicago office. She is a trusted advisor on workplace issues, with a practice focused on creating compliant HR practices and systems to achieve business purposes and avoid litigation, advising on complex leave and accommodation issues and investigating C-suite issues.
Ellen is an employment attorney with more than 30 years of experience representing employers across the country. In addition to having an extensive advice and counseling practice, Ellen is also a litigator, which gives her an additional important perspective when advising clients on workplace issues. Ellen has significant experience and expertise in the leave and reasonable accommodation areas, having drafted comments to the proposed regulations under the ADA, ADAAA and FMLA. She was also invited to testify before the EEOC at a public hearing on leave and other reasonable accommodation issues. She is a frequent lecturer at the national level on a wide variety of employment law topics. She is national chair of the firm’s women’s affinity group and member of the Lawyer Development Committee, Income Partner Coach and Triad mentor.
Fellow, College of Labor and Employment Lawyers; Board of Directors, National Employment Law Institute; Board of Directors, American Arbitration Association; American Bar Association, Labor and Employment Section and Individual Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee.
JD, University of Notre Dame; BA, University of Notre Dame, cum laude.
Travel and wine
Seyfarth Shaw LLP‘s team has an impressive range of multinational companies from various industries on its client roster and regularly advises them on organizational change as well as on the design and implementation of compliance systems and processes by developing technology tools in order to avoid litigation. Particular areas of expertise include pay equity matters, in which practice head David Baffa, Annette Tyman and Christine Hendrickson in Chicago are noted, and workplace discrimination and harassment matters, for which New York’s William Perkins is a key contact. In the Boston office, Lisa Damon‘s assistance with policy implementations is instrumental to clients to avoid lawsuits. In Chicago, Ellen McLaughlin has extensive experience in conducting sensitive internal investigations, while Tracy Billows is well versed in leave and accommodations related rights. Counsel Lawrence Lorber, based in Washington DC, is experienced in corporate reorganizations. In the same office, Karla Grossenbacher is also noted. Associate Joshua Seidman in New York is a specialist in paid sick leave laws.
United States > Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
The L&E disputes team at Seyfarth Shaw LLP fields an impressive number of experienced practitioners. It is regularly engaged by nation-wide companies from a variety of industries to represent them in class and collective actions and the group is noted for its involvement in pay equity and BIPA litigation proceedings. Chicago’s Camille Olson is a well-tried litigator with particular experience in discrimination and harassment matters. Practice head Laura Maechtlen, based in San Francisco, has a similar focus. Gerald Maatman, also in Chicago, has long-standing experience in various class actions. Nancy Rafuse, who joined alongside Stan Hill from Polsinelli PC in August 2018, is a key contact in Atlanta for race and gender discrimination claims. New York’s Gina Merrill is noted for her expertise in wage-and-hour matters, among others. Other highlighted practitioners are Lisa Damon in Boston, Lorie Almon in New York, and the recently promoted Coby Turner in Sacramento as well as Brian Stolzenbach and Ellen McLaughlin in Chicago.
- Workplace and employment counseling - United States > Labor and employment
- Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense - United States > Labor and employment
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Intellectual property > Trade secrets (litigation and non-contentious matters)
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Dispute resolution > E-discovery
- Government > Government contracts
- Real estate > Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Industry focus > Healthcare: advice to service providers
- Investment funds > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious