Gina Merrill > Seyfarth Shaw LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Seyfarth Shaw LLP Offices
620 8TH AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10018-1405
- Go to...
Labor & Employment Department; Single-Plaintiff Litigation Practice Group
Ms. Merrill is a partner in the Labor & Employment department of Seyfarth Shaw LLP’s New York Office. Her practice focuses on representing management in complex litigation in federal and state courts and other tribunals. She defends employers in class and collective proceedings, including proceedings arising out of alleged violations of Title VII, ADEA, Equal Pay Act, and Fair Labor Standards Act, as well as other state and local statutes that concern the myriad issues attendant to employment. In addition to her defense of employers in wage and hour and discrimination suits, Ms. Merrill regularly defends businesses in class action suits brought under the Fair Credit Reporting Act and state-equivalent statutes.
Ms. Merrill counsels employers on a variety of employment law matters, and she is experienced in conducting workplace investigations. Prior to joining Seyfarth Shaw, Ms. Merrill defended corporate and individual clients in a wide range of criminal and regulatory investigations and proceedings, and related civil litigation. She also has significant experience in securities and complex business litigation.
Ms. Merrill frequently writes on issues affecting the workplace, and in particular has co-authored articles regarding class arbitration and the use of statistics in class litigation.
Ms. Merrill’s pro bono service includes winning asylum on behalf of a Russian national and, through MFY’s Kinship Caregiver Law Project, navigating adoption proceedings for grandparents and other relatives who are caring for young children in their extended family.
J.D., New York University School of Law, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif ; B.A., Brown University, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
United States > Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense(Next Generation Partners)
The L&E disputes team at Seyfarth Shaw LLP fields an impressive number of experienced practitioners. It is regularly engaged by nation-wide companies from a variety of industries to represent them in class and collective actions and the group is noted for its involvement in pay equity and BIPA litigation proceedings. Chicago’s Camille Olson is a well-tried litigator with particular experience in discrimination and harassment matters. Practice head Laura Maechtlen, based in San Francisco, has a similar focus. Gerald Maatman, also in Chicago, has long-standing experience in various class actions. Nancy Rafuse, who joined alongside Stan Hill from Polsinelli PC in August 2018, is a key contact in Atlanta for race and gender discrimination claims. New York’s Gina Merrill is noted for her expertise in wage-and-hour matters, among others. Other highlighted practitioners are Lisa Damon in Boston, Lorie Almon in New York, and the recently promoted Coby Turner in Sacramento as well as Brian Stolzenbach and Ellen McLaughlin in Chicago.
- Next Generation Partners - United States > Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense - United States > Labor and employment
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Real estate > Construction (including construction litigation)
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market (sub-$500m)
- Intellectual property > Trade secrets (litigation and non-contentious matters)
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Dispute resolution > E-discovery
- Government > Government contracts
- Real estate > Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Industry focus > Healthcare: advice to service providers
- Investment funds > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious