Mr Howard Schiffman > Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP > Washington DC, United States > Lawyer Profile
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP Offices
901 Fifteenth Street,
NW, Suite 800
Washington, DC 20005
- Go to...
Mr Howard Schiffman
Litigation, Broker-Dealer Regulatory & Enforcement, Complex Commercial Litigation, Regulatory & Compliance, Securities Enforcement, Securities Litigation, White Collar Defense & Government Investigations, Blockchain Technology & Digital Assets
Nationally known in the area of securities litigation and regulatory developments, Howard Schiffman focuses on investigations and enforcement proceedings brought by various exchanges and government agencies, including the SEC, the DOJ and FINRA, as well as a diverse array of civil litigation, including securities class actions and arbitrations. A corporate problem solver, Howard is as adept at dispute containment and resolution as he is at arguing to a jury. He counsels clients, including major financial institutions and investment banks, leading Nasdaq market-makers, institutional and retail brokerage firms and their registered representatives, trade execution and clearing firms, prime brokers, national accounting firms, hedge funds, and public and private companies and their senior officers in risk analysis and litigation avoidance. Still, with his extensive trial experience and solid record of success in numerous SEC enforcement actions, SRO proceedings and FINRA arbitrations, Howard has the confidence to take a case to trial when necessary. He recently successfully represented the former CEO of Hanger Inc. in securing the dismissal of a securities fraud class action in which he was named as a defendant. He also represented the former CEO of the largest Nasdaq market-making firm, Knight Securities, in a federal court action brought by the SEC. After a 14-day bench trial, all parties were completely cleared of wrongdoing.
Howard began his career as a trial attorney with the SEC Division of Enforcement. In private practice for almost 30 years, he has long been at the forefront of securities litigation and regulatory developments, including his current representation of hedge funds, and the leading prime brokers and clearance firms, in regulatory and civil litigation. Howard was included in Washingtonian’s “Washington’s Top Lawyers” list and has been recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The Legal 500 US and Benchmark Litigation: The Definitive Guide to America’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys as a leading individual in the securities regulation area. He is a member of American Bar Association Sections on Litigation, Corporation, Finance and Securities Law and a fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America. He is also a director and former president of the Association of Securities and Exchange Commission Alumni Inc. Howard is a former co-chair of the firm’s Litigation Group.
American Bar Association (Member, Litigation, Corporation, Finance and Securities Law Sections); Association of Securities and Exchange Commission Alumni, Inc. (ASECA) (President, 1998-2000; Director, 1995-present); Litigation Counsel of America (Fellow).
Fordham University School of Law, JD, cum laude (Fordham Law Review); Colgate University, BA, cum laude.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): municipal
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Real estate > Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism