Mr Philippe Benedict > Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP Offices
919 THIRD AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022
- Go to...
Mr Philippe Benedict
Tax, Real Estate Capital Markets & REITs
Philippe Benedict focuses his practice on the tax aspects of investment funds, mergers and acquisitions, international transactions, real estate transactions and financial instruments. He has advised on many major transactions involving sales or spinoffs of investment fund managers, including Senator Investment Group LP’s sale of a minority stake to The Blackstone Group LP, Caxton Associates LP’s sale of a minority interest to the Petershill II Fund affiliated with the Goldman Sachs Group Inc., and Credit Suisse’s sale of Strategic Partners to The Blackstone Group LP. Philippe advises on the tax aspects of securitizations, including his recent representation of affiliates of Fortress Investment Group LLC and affiliates of AGL in the securitization of their leveraged facilities. He has also advised multiple alternative asset managers on the formation and structuring of funds, including Engineers Gate with the launch of a quant fund, Clearfield Capital with the launch of a hedge fund, Warlander Asset Management LP, AGL, Piney Lake and MGG with the launch of credit funds, and D1 Capital Partners in the formation of a new fund; Junto Capital Management LP on the launch of Junto Capital Partners LP and Junto Offshore Fund Ltd.; Trian Fund Management LP on all aspects of launching new co-investment hedge funds; Sachem Head Capital Management LP with the launch of hedge funds and the establishment of long/short equity funds; and Capstone Investment Advisors LLC, JANA Partners, MKP Capital Management LLC and Scopia Fund Management LLC in their respective sales of a passive minority interest to Neuberger Berman Group-managed private equity fund Dyal Capital Partners. Philippe also advised Bardin Hill Investment Partners in its succession plan. Philippe’s real estate transactions include advising the Related/Oxford joint venture developing Hudson Yards on closing nearly $1.4 billion in equity investments and debt financing for the center’s first tower, and advising Oxford in over $5 billion in financing of three office towers, a retail center and a residential building for the project; and advising Arel Capital in a number of equity investments, including operating multi-family properties with significant retail components and ground-up development projects for modern condominium buildings. Chambers USA, The Legal 500 US, New York Super Lawyers and the Tax Directors Handbook have recognized Philippe as a leading lawyer.
New York University School of Law, LLM in taxation; New York University School of Law, JD (Gruss Fellowship; Staff Member, Journal of International Law and Politics); Adelphi University, BS, summa cum laude.
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP fields a highly experienced fund-focused tax team, working with a deep roster of private equity firms, hedge funds, and other asset managers. Securitizations, structured finance transactions, and real estate driven deals are also core workflows for the group. Joint practice heads Alan Waldenberg and Shlomo Twerski are highly experienced in the full gamut of federal and international tax matters, specializing in investment fund transactions and hedge fund and management company structures, respectively. Philippe Benedict ‘s recent engagements include billion-dollar mergers and capital fund raisings, while David Wermuth is noted for his knowledge of onshore and offshore investment funds, and private equity partnerships. All named lawyers are based in New York.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): municipal
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Real estate > Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism