Mr Eleazer Klein > Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP Offices
919 THIRD AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022
- Go to...
Mr Eleazer Klein
PIPEs, Shareholder Activism, Distressed Investing, Energy, Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity, Regulatory & Compliance, Securities & Capital Markets
Ele Klein is co-chair of the global Shareholder Activism Group and serves as a member of the firm’s Executive Committee. He practices in the areas of shareholder activism, mergers and acquisitions, securities law and regulatory compliance. He represents activists, investment banks and companies in matters ranging from corporate governance and control to proxy contests and defensive strategies. His recent representations have included representing Trian Fund Management in multiple matters; Elliott Management in Marathon Petroleum, Akamai Technologies and Hess Corp.; JANA Partners in Jack in the Box, Whole Foods, Bristol-Myers Squibb and Tiffany; D.E. Shaw in Emerson Electric; Greenlight Capital in General Motors; Cevian Capital in Autoliv, ABB and LM Ericsson; Starboard Value in Papa John’s International and Acacia Research; Caligan Partners in Knowles Corp. and AMAG Pharmaceuticals; Blue Harbour in Investors Bancorp; venBio Select Advisor in Immunomedics; Saba Capital in First Trust; Oasis Capital in Stratus Properties; Altimeter Capital Management in United Continental Holding; SRS Investment Management in Avis Budget Group; and Anchorage in connection with board representation at Houghton Mifflin. Ele works on numerous activist campaigns and related transactions every year for some of the largest private investment groups and investment banks in the United States and abroad. In addition, he advises on private investments in public equity (PIPEs), initial public offerings and secondary offerings, venture capital financing, and indenture defaults and interpretation, and he counsels clients in the regulatory areas of insider trading, short selling, Sections 13 and 16, Rule 144, insider trading and Regulation M/Rule 105.
Ele is recognized as a leading lawyer in Chambers USA, The Legal 500 US, New York Super Lawyers – New York Metro Top 100 and Super Lawyers Business Edition. He has served as a moderator and speaker at numerous conferences and events addressing Shareholder Activism, regulatory and reporting issues, PIPEs, M&A deals, the capital markets and other topics of interest to the alternative investment industry. He contributed to the 2020 Shareholder Activism Insight report (produced by Activist Insight in association with SRZ), The Activist Investing Annual Review 2019 (produced by Activist Insight in association with SRZ) and the 2018 Shareholder Activism Insight report (published by SRZ in association with Activist Insight and Okapi Partners). Ele received his J.D. from Yale Law School where was senior editor on The Yale Law Journal.
American Bar Association; Yale Law School Center for the Study of Corporate Law, Board of Advisors.
Yale Law School, JD.
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP, a key player in the New York market, handles a variety of public and private M&A, spin-offs and joint ventures, predominantly focusing on the middle- and upper-middle markets. Other key distinguishers of the practice include its dedicated shareholder activism department, its prowess in private equity-driven transactions and investment management M&A, as well as its track record in real estate, bankruptcy and restructuring-related deals. Eleazer Klein fronts the department which has handled a number of multi-billion dollar transactions in the financial services sector of late and is also active in the automotive, energy, health, telecoms and utilities fields.
According to a client, Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP‘s team in New York is ‘the best legal team for shareholder activism in terms of providing corporate advice, along with the tax, fund formation, litigation and regulatory counsel that an investor would require.’ The firm advises on campaign strategies, corporate governance proxy rules, antitrust, securities, spin-offs and co-investments. In 2021, it was notably active representing large hedge funds in contentious proxy fights. Names to note include Michael Swartz, who is ‘one of the best litigators in the activist area.’ Leading the department are Marc Weingarten and ‘practical and pragmatic‘ attorney Eleazer Klein.
- Leading lawyers: Advice to shareholders - United States > M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism
- M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m) - United States > M&A/corporate and commercial
- Shareholder activism - United States > M&A/corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): municipal
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Real estate > Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism