Mr Dan Kusnetz > Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP Offices
919 THIRD AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022
- Go to...
Mr Dan Kusnetz
Tax, Business Reorganization, Distressed Investing, Energy, Mergers & Acquisitions, Nonprofit, Private Equity, Real Estate, Real Estate Capital Markets & REITs
Dan A. Kusnetz concentrates on tax planning for complex transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, private equity, bankruptcy, workouts, corporate restructuring and distressed asset investing, structured finance and real estate. Some of Dan’s more significant engagements and transactions, throughout a professional career spanning more than 35 years, include his representation of Cerberus Capital Management in the acquisition of a controlling interest in Chrysler (and, later, the sale of Chrysler and its debtor subsidiaries’ assets in their Chapter 11 reorganization and sale of Chrysler Financial to TD Bank); a group of senior secured lenders in their acquisition and recapitalization of the assets of Westmoreland Resource Partners LP; an institutional real estate investor in a $3-billion leveraged recapitalization of a real estate joint venture; several major financial institutions in respect of the acquisition of over $2.5 billion of life settlement assets and several fund sponsors and other investment vehicles in the formation of litigation finance funds.
Dan is a frequent speaker at tax seminars throughout the country and has been recognized by The Best Lawyers in America and The Legal 500 United States as a leading tax lawyer. He received his B.A., cum laude, from Tulane University in 1980; his J.D., magna cum laude, from Tulane University Law School, where he was Order of the Coif and managing editor of the Tulane Law Review, in 1982; and his LL.M. in taxation from New York University School of Law 1988.
New York University School of Law, LLM, taxation; Tulane University Law School, JD, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, managing editor, Tulane Law Review; Tulane University, BA, cum laude.
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP is jointly led by the ‘one of a kind‘ transactional tax specialist Alan Waldenberg and Shlomo Twerski, who focuses on the tax aspects of onshore and offshore investment funds and private equity partnerships. Other key figures in the practice group include Philippe Benedict and Dan Kusnetz, both of whom have broad transactional tax practices covering tax issues relating to investment funds, M&A and real estate transactions. All named attorneys are based in New York.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment funds > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Investment funds > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Real estate > Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism