Mr Joseph Smith > Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP Offices
919 THIRD AVENUE
NEW YORK, NY 10022
- Go to...
Mr Joseph Smith
Investment Management, Private Equity, Real Estate Capital Markets & REITs, Energy
Joseph A. Smith represents private equity fund sponsors in connection with fund formation, the acquisition of portfolio investments and the implementation of exit strategies. In this capacity, Joe advises clients on securities, governance, ERISA, Investment Advisers Act and structural issues. He has extensive regulatory expertise, and wide-ranging experience with all alternative asset classes, including LBO funds, venture capital and later-stage growth equity funds, energy and infrastructure funds, credit funds, real estate funds and joint ventures, fund restructurings and other complex secondary transactions, and funds of funds. Joe has also represented many fund managers in connection with spinoffs and consolidations.
In addition to domestic representations, Joe has advised private equity clients in connection with the acquisition and structuring of portfolio investments throughout Europe, Latin America and Asia. His representation of asset managers in the real estate sector includes advice concerning REIT offerings and privatizations, partnership roll-ups and cross-border investments. Joe’s clients include Arel Capital, Coller Capital, DRA Advisors, DuPont Capital Management, Fort Washington Investment Advisors, GE Asset Management (now State Street Global Advisors), Harbert Management Corporation, Hemisfério Sul Investimentos, Intel, Investors Diversified Realty, Kotak Mahindra Group, LCN Capital Partners, Mauá Capital, Ram Realty Services, REAL Infrastructure Partners, Royalton Partners, Value4Capital, VCFA Group, Vortus Investments and Westport Capital Partners. Joe has been recognized as a leading practitioner by Chambers Global, Chambers USA, Expert Guide to the World’s Leading Banking, Finance and Transactional Law Lawyers, The Legal 500 US and New York Super Lawyers. Most recently, Joe was quoted by Private Equity International in the article “LPAs: Finding the Right Balance” and by Private Funds Management in the article “Ringing the Changes.” Joe co-authored the “United States Fundraising” chapter in The Private Equity Review (Law Business Research Ltd.) and he contributed to the Fund Formation and Incentives Report (Private Equity International in association with SRZ).
American Bar Association; New York City Bar Association.
New York University School of Law, JD; Columbia University, AB
United States > Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
At Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP, the group is well versed in handling all aspects of private equity fund formation and operation, advising on issues far past a fund’s creation, as well as those surrounding the initial structuring. The offering’s stellar reputation for regulatory and compliance matters ensures that a notable roster of global investment advisers is represented by the firm in this space; Joseph Smith is a key name to note for such work. Other areas of strength include assisting innovative funds – particularly those involved with blockchain technology and digital assets – advising clients on hybrid funds with a private equity style, and transactions relating to funds. Stephanie Breslow, David Efron, Peter Greene, and David Nissenbaum jointly lead the team. Phyllis Schwartz is also recommended for her extensive experience working with institutional investors. All named attorneys are based in New York.
- Private equity funds (including venture capital) - United States > Investment fund formation and management
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Finance > Structured finance: derivatives and structured products
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): municipal
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: middle-market ($500m-999m)
- Finance > Structured finance: securitization
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Finance > Financial services regulation
- Dispute resolution > M&A litigation: defense
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Real estate > Real estate finance
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Real estate > Real estate
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Shareholder activism