Mr Carlos Martinez > Proskauer Rose LLP > New York, United States > Lawyer Profile
Proskauer Rose LLP Offices
11 TIMES SQUARE
NEW YORK, NEW YORK 10036-8299
- Go to...
Mr Carlos Martinez
Carlos E. Martinez is a partner and head of Proskauer’s Latin America Practice Group.
Carlos has 30 years of experience in Latin American cross-border transactions. He has participated in numerous debt and equity securities offerings by Latin American issuers, representing issuers, selling stockholders and underwriters. In the mergers and acquisitions area, Carlos has represented acquirers, investors and target companies in several cross-border transactions. He also represents creditors and borrowers in a wide range of other financial transactions, including bank lending, project finance, asset-backed financings and restructurings.
Carlos has written articles on privatization capital markets, free trade agreements and restructurings in Latin America. He has also lectured on the legal aspects of international finance at several symposia and universities.
Proskauer Rose LLP‘s firmly established Latin American client-base brings it a wealth of capital markets engagements, including high-yield debt offerings, debt restructurings and private placements. The firm is especially active in energy, mining and financial services. New York partner Carlos Martinez leads the Latin America practice and has an extensive network of clients throughout the region. Head of the Sao Paulo office, Antonio Piccirillo, is another experienced and practitioner with a solid record in capital markets offerings.
Proskauer Rose LLP has a stable team of Latin America specialists based in its New York and Sao Paulo offices. The group represents a mix of multinationals, multi-latinas and financial sponsors, particularly in the financial services, energy and natural resources, mining and metals, and life sciences industries. It has a small group of sizeable Latin American clients that provide regular engagements, such as BTG Pactual and The Gilinski Group. The head of the Latin America practice, Carlos Martinez, is a seasoned corporate and M&A specialist with inordinate knowledge of the continent, while Daniel Ganitsky , co-head of the M&A practice, can also draw on his longstanding focus on the region. Recent matters saw the pair lead advice to anchor client The Gilinski Group on its two takeover bids in Colombia to acquire Grupo Nutresa and Grupo Suramericana. Other mandates have seen the practice acting in Brazil, Chile, Guatemala, Mexico, Paraguay and Peru of late. Both partners are based in New York.
Proskauer Rose LLP is distinctive amongst international firms in having the bulk of its Latin America finance practice based in Sao Paulo, where it has a number of UK and US-qualified lawyers located. Naturally, much of team is focused on Brazil, but the firm does have wider Latin America credentials, particularly in the pre-export finance, acquisition finance, project finance and syndicated lending segments. New York-based head of the Latin America team Carlos Martinez is multi-skilled and is noted for his expertise in restructurings. Sao Paulo office head Antonio Piccirillo and Fábio Yamada are experienced figures in pre-export finance, acquisition finance, debt restructurings and syndicated lending. David Fenwick is another seasoned professional in banking and finance, included in structured financings and derivatives.
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Media, technology and telecoms > Advertising and marketing: litigation
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: design
- Labor and employment > ERISA litigation
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Venture capital and emerging companies
- Tax > Financial products
- Labor and employment > Labor and employment disputes (including collective actions): defense
- Labor and employment > Labor-management relations
- Industry focus > Sport
- Labor and employment > Workplace and employment counseling
- Investment fund formation and management > Alternative/hedge funds
- Intellectual property > Copyright
- Labor and employment > Employee benefits, executive compensation and retirement plans: transactional
- Dispute resolution > General commercial disputes
- Industry focus > Insurance: advice to policyholders
- Tax > International tax
- Tax > Not-for-profit (nonprofit and tax exempt organizations)
- Investment fund formation and management > Private equity funds (including venture capital)
- Real estate > Real estate
- Real estate > Real estate investment trusts (REITs)
- Intellectual property > Trade secrets (litigation and non-contentious matters)
- Tax > US taxes: non-contentious
- Media, technology and telecoms > Cyber law (including data privacy and data protection)
- Industry focus > Environment: transactional
- Labor and employment > Immigration
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: litigation
- Investment fund formation and management > Mutual/registered/exchange-traded funds
- Media, technology and telecoms > Outsourcing
- Dispute resolution > Securities litigation: defense
- Intellectual property > Trademarks: litigation
- Antitrust > Civil litigation/class actions: defense
- Industry focus > Healthcare: life sciences
- Industry focus > Healthcare: service providers
- Media, technology and telecoms > Media and entertainment: transactional
- M&A/corporate and commercial > Private equity buyouts
- Finance > Restructuring (including bankruptcy): corporate
- Media, technology and telecoms > Technology transactions
- Media, technology and telecoms > Telecoms and broadcast: transactions
- M&A/corporate and commercial > M&A: large deals ($1bn+)
- Dispute resolution > Leading trial lawyers
- Dispute resolution > Appellate: courts of appeals / Appellate: supreme courts (states and federal)
- Finance > Commercial lending
- Dispute resolution > Corporate investigations and white-collar criminal defense
- Finance > Capital markets: debt offerings
- Finance > Capital markets: equity offerings