Nigel van Zyl > Proskauer Rose LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Proskauer Rose LLP Offices
- Go to...
Nigel van Zyl
Private Investment Funds
Nigel van Zyl specializes in advising asset managers, institutional investors and investment advisors across the full spectrum of investment fund matters.
Praised for his keen business sense and practical approach, Nigel advises leading international fund managers on all aspects of their fund business, including the formation, raising, maintenance and ongoing operation and compliance of their investment funds. He also advises on internal governance, compliance and organization, carried interest and co-investment arrangements, spinouts, re-organizations and restructurings.
Nigel represents institutional investors, including fund of funds, sovereign wealth funds, and global asset managers, with respect to their investments into private equity and other alternative asset funds.
He also advises buyers and sellers of secondary fund interests and the structures used for these transactions, including synthetic secondary and co-investment structures.
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Proskauer Rose LLP advises top institutions including asset managers, buyout houses, funds of funds and new managers on fund formations across a diverse range of fund structures and asset classes, including private equity, infrastructure, special situations, and renewable energy funds. The firm combines this broad expertise with an active secondaries practice, including transactions, GP-led secondaries, and continuation funds. The team, praised for its ‘ superb breadth and depth of experience’ is led by Nigel van Zyl, an experienced practitioner who enjoys strong relationships with a variety of major funds clients, handling large-scale fund formation and operational mandates, including carried interest and co-investments, and internal governance issues. Bruno Bertrand-Delfau specialises in secondaries matters, advising on major transactions within the European and US markets, and is also active on behalf of institutional investors. The ‘commercial and pragmatic‘ Peter Olds arrived from Weil, Gotshal & Manges (London) LLP in early 2021, and advises on fund formations and secondaries across a variety of asset classes, while ‘creative’ and ‘knowledgeable’ counsel Brendan Gallen is also a key member of the team. Aranpreet Randhawa was promoted to partner in late 2020.
- Hall of Fame - London > Investment fund formation and management > Private funds
- Hall of Fame - London > Investment fund formation and management > Private funds (including infrastructure funds)
- Private funds - London > Investment fund formation and management
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds (including infrastructure funds)
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds
- Finance > Acquisition finance
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Investment fund formation and management > Fund finance
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions – high-value deals (£250m+)
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: upper mid-market and premium deals, £500m+
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium