Robert H Thomas > Porter Hedges LLP > Houston, United States > Lawyer Profile
Porter Hedges LLP Offices
1000 MAIN STREET
HOUSTON, TX 77002
- Go to...
Robert H Thomas
Bob Thomas is Co-Chair of the Energy Section of Porter Hedges. His practice principally consists of the representation of domestic and international oil and gas companies in all phases of the energy business with emphasis on the upstream and midstream segments of the industry.
Although Mr. Thomas is principally involved in energy transactions, his practice includes representation of energy companies involved in disputes, whether mediation, arbitration or litigation, including serving as an expert witness in complex energy cases.
Mr. Thomas’s practice also includes the following:
- acquisition, divestiture and financing of midstream and upstream assets
- mergers and acquisitions
- acquisition and development of gas storage facilities
- upstream and midstream agreements including drilling agreements, marketing agreements, gas, liquids and crude oil purchase, transport and gathering agreements
- farmout and participation agreements, farmout of general and limited partnership agreements, seismic shoot agreements, data acquisitions and seismic licenses, executive compensation agreements, surface and subsurface easements and oil and gas leases
- drop down transactions for upstream and midstream Master Limited Partnerships
Mr. Thomas has been recognized by Chambers USA as a “Leader in the Field” of Energy: Oil & Gas Transactions. He has been listed in the Best Lawyers in America in Energy Law since 2005 and has been selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers in Energy/Oil & Gas Law since 2003. Bob was also named to the Houston Business Journal’s “Who’s Who in Energy” list.
Prior to joining Porter Hedges, Mr. Thomas was Division Attorney for Mesa Petroleum Co. in Houston, Texas and in-house counsel for Gulf Oil Corporation in Midland, Texas and New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Moderator for Houston Energy Forum, an annual energy roundtable panel of leading industry experts
- Martindale Hubbell AV Rated Attorney
- Member of the State Bar of Texas
- The State Bar of Louisiana
- The Houston Bar Association
- The American Bar Association
- Fellow of the Houston Bar Foundation
Bob received his J.D. and his B.A., cum laude, from Tulane University.
Benefiting from ‘excellent industry knowledge‘ and a nimble and cost-effective approach, Porter Hedges LLP is well positioned to advise a range of domestic stakeholders, including private and public E&P companies and oilfield services companies, on transactional work, as well as on ongoing operational matters and day-to-day commercial contracts. Led from Houston by Robert Thomas and Randy King, the firm is most visible in the upstream and midstream sectors, and has developed a particular niche advising on transactions involving produced water, as well as E&P work relating to unconventional resources, including domestic oil and gas shale plays. The firm is also well hedged in the market to pick up work arising from the downturn in oil prices by virtue of its strong restructuring capabilities in the sector.