Pietro Merlino > Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe > Rome, Italy > Lawyer Profile
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe Offices
PIAZZA DELLA CROCE ROSSA 2
- Go to...
Antitrust & Competition
Partner, Head of the Italian Antitrust & Competition practice group
Pietro Merlino is the Head of Orrick’s Italian Antitrust & Competition practice group, based in the Rome office.
Pietro assists clients in connection with the application of EU and Italian competition rules across a wide range of industry sectors, from energy to media, pharmaceuticals, chemicals, automotive, consumer goods and transportations. He advises and represents Italian and international players in all areas of competition law, including abuse of dominance, cartel and restrictive practices investigations, merger control, licensing and distribution, as well as on general EU law issues.
He regularly appears before the EU courts and Italian civil and administrative courts, as well as before the European Commission and the Italian Competition Authority.
Over the years, Pietro has developed a particularly strong expertise in the application of competition rules in the life sciences’ sector, where he was involved in some of the most prominent antitrust cases of the past decade, as well as in the energy and transportation sectors. In addition, he focussed extensively on the interplay between antitrust law and intellectual property rights.
Pietro frequently authors publications on antitrust matters, and lectures at various Italian universities – most recently in the European Competition Law Course at the Law School of the Università degli Studi Roma Tre – and he regularly participates as a speaker at conferences and seminars in Italy and abroad.
Prior to joining the firm, he worked in the Rome and Brussels offices of a leading international law firm for almost two decades.
Italian, English, French
- Università Federico II, Naples, Ph.D., EU competition law, 2004
- University of Michigan Law School, LL.M., 1999, Fulbright Scholar, Merit Award for outstanding performance in EU Antitrust
- College of Europe at Bruges, Belgium, LL.M., Advanced European Legal Studies, 1998, Mention: Très Bien
- Università Federico II, Naples, Facoltà di Giurisprudenza, J.D., 1996, summa cum laude
Lawyer Rankings(Next Generation Partners)
Led by the ‘super-competent‘ Pietro Merlino, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe‘s Italian antitrust and competition practice group was recently active in complex, high-stakes behavioural competition investigations and litigation, high-profile merger control proceedings and antitrust audits and compliance. Managing associate Marianna Mariani also provides key support.
The team at Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe assists with a full range of matters within the healthcare and life sciences sector including antitrust and competition litigation, clinical misconduct, M&A, white-collar criminal law as well as corporate and regulatory work. The practice is led by experienced criminal litigator Jean-Paule Castagno; antitrust and competition specialist Pietro Merlino; corporate lawyer Marco Nicolini and litigation and arbitration expert Riccardo Troiano.
- Next Generation Partners - Italy > EU and competition law
- Industry focus: Healthcare and life sciences - Italy
- EU and competition law - Italy
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Capital markets: Debt
- Industry focus: Healthcare and life sciences
- Real estate and construction
- Banking and finance: lender or arranger side
- Commercial, corporate and M&A
- Data privacy and data protection
- EU and competition law
- Private equity
- Restructuring and insolvency
- Administrative and public law
- Banking and finance: Borrower side
- Dispute resolution