Alejandro Páez-Vallejo > Pérez Bustamante & Ponce > Quito, Ecuador > Lawyer Profile
Pérez Bustamante & Ponce Offices
AV REPÚBLICA DE EL SALVADOR N36-140
EDIFICIO MANSIÓN BLANCA
- Go to...
Alejandro is a tax specialist. He is part of the team that advises domestic and foreign companies on tax optimization as part of their business affairs.
He has helped clients implement efficient corporate structures and reduce tax burdens. He advises on tax planning, application of treaties to avoid double taxation, estate planning and probate, tax due diligence, compliance with formal tax obligations, handling administrative procedures for information requests, administrative challenges, tax refund applications and all types of litigation in tax litigation courts.
He is also experienced in customs matters and contract manufacturing (maquila) activities.
- Pérez Bustamante & Ponce (2012 – present)
- Professor, Tax Law Institutions, Universidad de Los Hemisferios, Quito, Ecuador (2018 – present)
- Legal Assistant to a large courier company in Ecuador (2008 – 2009)
- Member, Ecuadorian Tax Law Institute – IEDT (2017)
- Contributor to the XXX Latin American Conference on Tax Law (ILADT), Montevideo, Uruguay (2018)
Spanish, English, French
- Ecuador Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Ecuadorian Tax Law Institute
- Latin American Tax Law Institute
- Universidad San Francisco de Quito, Ecuador (Lawyer, 2013)
- Academy of American and International Law, Dallas, U.S.A. (Diploma in Comparative Law and U.S. Law for Foreign Lawyers, 2015)
- Northwestern University, Chicago, U.S.A. (Master’s Degree in Law, LL.M., with honors, 2017)
- Instituto de Empresa, Madrid, Spain (Business Administration Minor, 2017)
- Pontificia Universidad Católica del Ecuador, Quito (Master’s Degree in Tax Law, 2017)
Pérez Bustamante & Ponce remains one of the leading practices in the Ecuadorian tax space, with a client list that features a range of prominent multinational companies including Sony, Unilever, and General Motors. The department is led by Juan Gabriel Reyes who is recommended for his expertise in tax planning and structuring matters, and also handles tax controversies. Recent highlights saw Reyes working in conjunction with Juan Francisco Carrasco to secure Quiport’s right to seek an income tax exemption despite the SRI’s objections; the case was won in a series of district and national court decisions. Carrasco also has a particular niche in telecoms-related tax matters which saw the pair team up to successfully represent Otecel in a judicial action challenging a $9.2m income tax assessment for fiscal year 2016. Rounding out the partner-level team is tax, customs and international trade specialist Carmen Simone-Lasso; she has particular expertise in both tax and customs litigation and a focus on investments and international trade matters relating to the automotive sector; her recent mandates include advising Cervecería Nacional in the largest investment project by a company in Ecuador’s food and beverage industry. Key associate support comes from practice directors Nicolás Maldonado-Zambrano and Alejandro Páez-Vallejo (an October 2022 promotion), and senior Jeannette Jarrin-Sevilla.