Frances Murphy > Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP > London, England > Lawyer Profile
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP Offices
5-10 ST PAUL'S CHURCHYARD
- Go to...
Frances Murphy, a partner in the antitrust practice at Morgan Lewis, focuses on competition law and antitrust matters. Frances currently serves as Managing Partner of the firm’s London office. Frances represents clients in complex, high value global cartel investigations, alleged abuse of dominance matters and civil proceedings for damages for breach of competition law/antitrust laws. She has experience defending investigations by the competition authorities, in particular by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), the Financial Conduct Authority, and the European Commission and in leading actions in the Competition Authority Tribunal, the English Courts, and the European Courts. For more information, view Frances’s bio at https://www.morganlewis.com/bios/francesmurphy.
Member, British Institute of Advanced Legal Studies; Member, Competition Law Forum; Member, Competition Committee of the International Chamber of Commerce; Member, Law Society European Solicitors Group
Queen Mary University of London, 1984, BA, Joint Honors; College of Law, England, 1985, Law Society Finals; Queen Mary University of London, 1992, Postgraduate Diploma in Intellectual Property Law
Lawyer Rankings(Hall of Fame)
Led by London managing partner Frances Murphy (‘a valuable ally and formidable opponent‘), Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP’s City team is known for handling complex regulatory investigations; in this space, its pharmaceutical sector work is particularly prominent. Other areas of focus include enforcement matters, merger filings and state aid. The London group is part of the US-based firm’s global network, which comprises 150 lawyers split across Europe, Asia and the Americas. Omar Shah and Joanna Christoforou are also noted.
The Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP team handles a range of transactional, regulatory and competition matters in the UK and globally. Team head Timothy Corbett advises emerging biotechnology companies on capital raisings from seed investment onwards, as well as acquisitions and collaborations. Frances Murphy and Omar Shah handle competition issues such as unfair pricing. Tom Cartwright handles private equity investments in the pharma sector and consultant Paul Ranson provides a wealth of sector-specific corporate and regulatory experience.
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius UK LLP represents claimants and defendants in standalone and follow-on litigation. The group is noted for its involvement in high-profile and precedent-setting cases; of recent note, the team was successful in the UK Supreme Court when it acted for Sainsbury’s in litigation against Visa over multilateral interchange fees. London managing partner Frances Murphy heads up the practice. Joanna Christoforou and associate Emma Walsh are also key names to note.
- Hall of Fame - London > Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Leading individuals - London > Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Competition litigation - London > Dispute resolution
- Life sciences and healthcare - London > Industry focus
- EU and competition - London > Corporate and commercial
Top Tier Firm Rankings
- Finance > Asset based lending
- Industry focus > Emerging markets
- Finance > Securitisation
- Dispute resolution > Competition litigation
- Finance > Debt capital markets
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: contentious
- Corporate and commercial > M&A: lower mid-market deals, £50m-£500m
- Corporate and commercial > Private equity: transactions - mid-market deals (up to £250m)
- Risk advisory > Regulatory investigations and corporate crime (advice to corporates)
- Employment > Employers
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > IT and telecoms
- Industry focus > Life sciences and healthcare
- Projects, energy and natural resources > Oil and gas
- Dispute resolution > Banking litigation: investment and retail
- Corporate and commercial > Financial services: non-contentious/regulatory
- TMT (technology, media and telecoms) > Intellectual property: trade marks, copyright and design
- Investment fund formation and management > Private funds (including infrastructure funds)
- Dispute resolution > Commercial litigation: premium
- Corporate and commercial > Corporate tax
- Corporate and commercial > EU and competition
- Dispute resolution > International arbitration
- Employment > Immigration